My "someday I will play this " song...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnleopold, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Hey there gang...

Do you have a someday song ? --- as a beginner I find it to be torture to hear something you want to play, work for it and wonder if you will play like that someday ... so my question is... can anyone play the solo in Jazz -Clark Terry and Thelonius Monk - Flugeling the Blues ... I've attached it to this note... but it could be too big...

I can play the very first part after I do all my practicing... it seems easy... and then all the kids sit down and the real playing starts...

This is an Mp3 file that will just start playing but its big so beware dial up members... http://www.corbansolutions.com/Trumpetstuff.html [/img]

2. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Oh, what a great question!

I'd like to be able to play the opening to Night In Tunisia that Jon Faddis does I think off the Legacy album. It's pretty dramatic. :woop:

3. RichN

RichN Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2004
    UK (Mids)
    Since the first time I heard it when I was 17 (2 years before I gave up) I've always wanted to be able to play all of the trumpet parts in A Londoner In New York (Philip Jones Brass Ensemble). I picked up the trumpet again 2 years ago aged 30 and it's still in my head as 'the one'.

More recently, my father in law bought me a CD with Wynton playing the Arban Carnival of Venice. One day, when I've mastered A Londoner In New York....

Rich.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I always wanted to be a part of the Telemann Concerto for 3 trumpets in Bb Major, tracks 4, 5 and 6 on the "Wynton Marsalis: Baroque Music For Trumpets" album. I have always liked it, but have never been in a place where I could play it with two other skilled trumpet players.

5. pots13

pots13 New Friend

Dec 5, 2004
    I'm learning (slowly but surely) Arban's Carnival of Venice, which is more or less my one day piece (though this is mostly because of my lack of free time). I've got a couple of others I just haven't looked at yet but none as challenging as carnival.
    Pots

6. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    I want to be able to play - comfortably - Phil Dricoll's arangement of " I've Just Seen Jesus " it is not a hard piece technically - it just is out of my comfort range - especially by the end. I am looking for the magic mouthpiece that gives both - hi-notes and beautiful warm tone. Just about like asking detroit to build a fast car that gives great gas milage. There is a give and take to every thing ( NUTS ) old geezer Dave :dontknow:

7. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    West Side Story.... the entire melody line. Even if it is only "one tune at a time".

Satie's Gymnopedies 1, 2 & 3.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I dont have a some day song...but i do have a some day TONE!!! :play:

9. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Carnival of Venice and Napoli

10. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User