My "someday I will play this " song...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Johnleopold, Jan 24, 2005.

1. blutch

blutch Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    This drives me nuts.

"songs" are sung. "pieces" or "tunes" are played.

Even music educators get this wrong. Makes me grind my teeth when I hear it. :x

MA

2. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    CORNET

"The Carnival of Venice," by Jules Levy. Absolutely the hardest cornet piece I have ever heard, blows Arban, Clarke, EVERYONE out of the water.

The day I can properly, crisply triple tongue the upper register, and octave slur with the speed, accuracy, tone and grace that is expected (no, demanded) from this piece is the day that I will sing atop the mountain. I want to also find the Jules Levy model cornet (I think Courtois made it?) to play the piece on, to get the full effect.

FLUGELHORN

A Bobby Shew work. Any of the harder ones will suffice.

I am not to well acquainted with Flugel repertoire..

TRUMPET

Something Baroque. Probably a Bach transcription in the correct octave.

Still not certain. Theres some crazy French Conservatory repertoire lying around....

I plan for my big Senior recital to work up the Jules Levy piece for cornet, a really cool flugelhorn piece (Or two), and a few crazy, mainly baroque trumpet pieces.

Thank God thats still three-four years away...

Van

3. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    My wife and I have conversations like this all the time. Language is fluid and it drives my wife nuts. Colloquialisms drive her crazy too. She absolutely will not use a hyphen -- it really bugs here despite the fact it is very common today.

The fact is, songs (that are sung with the human voice) are often played. When played do they become "tunes" or "pieces" -- they were originally sung?

We could just call them all "charts" -- I love that one! :shock: "Will you sing that chart for me?" I will not ask my church choir to do that.

They are all music of some type. A piece or tune or a song. "Play a song for me" is a common phrase today. Such is language.

Jim

4. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Wow... nice response... I guess my other song is Night is Tunisia and ... the Trumpet Solo from ... "Cold Duck" --- Les McCann Eddie Harry Album 1968 ? -- Montreux Expo or something like that... lost the CD cover so I only have a very worn CD... but Cold Duck is just like #1 for me...

5. Johnleopold

Johnleopold New Friend

Feb 7, 2004
    Tracy, CA
    Sorry ... typing too fast... NIGHT IN TUNISIA...

6. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    My wife is a very good player and she keeps me humble. She done both "Canival of Venice" and "Napoli" as a featured soloist with one of our community bands several times. Later in the concert I usually have several 8 or 12 bar solos in different pieces and I feel like a 7th grader. old geezer Dave :oops:

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That is what the [​IMG] button is for. I have typed way too fast (or sloppy) many, many times. But thanks to the good ole edit button, presto! -- I can change them.

Probably the feature I use the most :oops:

Jim

8. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Malcolm Arnold's Trumpet Concerto.

Whenever I think I'm getting really good I take it out and try it...then put it back away again!!! :oops:

It's a great leveller.

Regards,

Trevor

9. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Vizzutti Baby

I have to say Allen Vizzutti's interpretation of "The Carvival of Venice" although he calls it "The Carnival of Venus" is my all time goal to someday have mastered. (But that's a ways down the road).

Eric

10. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Maynard Ferguson, by Shorty Rodgers.

On the more legit side...Allen Vizzutti's "Rising Sun." I heard Jens Lindemann play this at ITG in Ft Worth and have a video of Vizzutti playing it. Totally awesome.

One day, they will be mine...oh, yes...they will be mine.