My Spit Valve Fills Up Fast

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by HeavensTrumpet, Nov 13, 2009.

1. HeavensTrumpet

HeavensTrumpet New Friend

Nov 13, 2009
    My spit valve fills up really fast. After every 20 measures I need to empty it and a puddle of spit comes out. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to fix this?

I also have spit coming out of my bell sometimes. Is there something wrong with my trumpet?

2. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    How long have you been playing?
    Does this always happen, or only when playing certain things?

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    What causes this is condensation, the weather, humidity , or lack of humidity ,the amount of saliva in your mouth are all factors, there could be more.If your trumpet was in a cold room or closet ,then when you blow warm air into it could also be reason.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is pretty much normal. there is no fix except to keep the horn warm when playing so that condensation does not form as much.

Coming out of the bell is no problem. It just means that there is a lot of water in motion or your breathing is pretty powerful.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Along with all the things that Rowuk has proposed this may very well mean that you are using warm air - this is a GOOD thing. :thumbsup:

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I know that I have an Olds Recording and it seems like I am emptying the spit valve after about every minute of playing. Becomes noticeable in the sound. This does not happen on any of my other horns. Anyone have an idea why? I have also read a number of posts that state the Kanstul 1600 Wayne B. model seems to accumulate spit in the second valve. Anyone have any thought on this?
    Steve

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Design of an instrument can be acoustically superior and still have some practical problems. I have a Getzen eterna 4 valve flugelhorn that gurgles pretty quickly. the spit valves don't help. I just angle the mouthpiece end towards the floor and the moisture drips out.

Water collects where it cannot freely flow. The valve cluster is a natural place for problems. You have 2 choices: stop playing the horn or spit less. I have no recipe for the latter!

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    My Benge will start gurgling, and continue even after I empty from the tuning slide. And the third valve slide has no water key - and with the stop on there, it would be a real pain to empty it out. I sometimes just blow air through really hard (enough to make the horn whistle), and the rest comes out the bell. It's not a great solution, certainly not something I'd want to do in front of an audience. It's just something that came to me because back when I was a kid, we used to do breathing exercises that culminated with a really hard blow through the horn like that . . . I wonder if that's a good, bad, or neutral thing to be doing . . .

9. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway
    Some horns collect "water" in the 2 valve if you don't
    empty the water out of the tuning slide spit valve.
    This has influence on the sound and also the resistance of the blow.
    Only way to get rid of the water is to take out the 2 valve slide,
    depress the 2 valve and blow the water out....

10. RB-R37297

RB-R37297 Pianissimo User

Mar 12, 2009
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I'm exactly the same. I get water out the bell all the time too. Nothing you can really do about it. Don't let it get to you.