My Stoner Olds Coprion Conversion

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Dr. Stu, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Well, I finally did it. After losing out on a couple of these beautiful horns, I decided to send my own to Garry for the full Monte.

Here is a current picture of my '53 Ambassador Cornet in Garry's shop.

[​IMG]

Ouch.

I'm going with the Conn 17A Coprion bell, Amado's, Garry's custom copper bracing & 3rd slide finger ring.

We're going for a sound that is “Awesome… Sexy…Dark & Vibrant†(I love that description) which is the way some of Garry's previous creations with the 17A have been described.

I'm going with the scratched (or is it brushed) finish/clear lacquer look for the body and bell and like the polished bell interior, but I had a tough time deciding. (Opinion's please!) I thought that a brushed or scratched finish would be better for a darker sounding horn, but I do like the highlighting provided by the polished bell interior.

I'll post about the progress & the before & after's when I get the horn

- Stu

2. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    90 views & no comments? Well, I'll post the next picture anyway.

Bell, mouthpipe, and receiver mounted, slides fitted, brace patterns drawn. Next step is to cut, fit & place the sheet copper braces.

Anyone have one of these conversions & want to comment.?

Any comment on the finish choice? (I still have some time to decide).

-Stu

[​IMG][/URL][/img]

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Its looking pretty nice. I kinda "wonder" about the sheet bracing but the proof will be in the pudding (or playing)... as they say. You'll have to let us know how it actually plays and sounds once finished.

4. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Scratch gold plate all but the bell. Get Jason Dumars to engrave the entire bell then have it lacquered.

http://dumarsengraving.com

5. VINTAGEBRASS

VINTAGEBRASS Pianissimo User

Apr 3, 2004
    Branson
    I have a Stoner cornet with the same style of bracing and it has a nice rich cornet sound. Everywhere I play it I receive comments on how good it sounds. It also helps having a "V" cup mouthpiece.

6. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Now waiting for the horn to come in the mail. Can't wait to see if it plays as great as it looks. (I have a feeling it does.) Take a look...

[​IMG]

Does Garry do beautiful work !!!

-Stu

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    beautiful horn ,hwo doe,s it sound? :D

8. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    Clarence,

Those are the pis Garry sent me. I should get the horn sometime next week. I'll surely post after I play it.

-Stu

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    i like the Pheaton braceing. ;-)

10. pwillini

pwillini Pianissimo User

Mar 4, 2004
    Kalamazoo, MI
    So, have you decided on the finish yet? What about engraving that beautiful copper bell?