My symphonic band questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tpetjunkie, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    Hey guys I had a quick question about a possible aperature problem that could happen.

Well, my teacher moved me over to the valve trombone for symphonic band because we were short. I was one of the better trumpets in our class, I was wondering why she would do this?

Also can playing on the trombone mouthpeice mess up my trumpet aperature? I go to play my trumpet after it and its quality decreases tremendously, but my range is helped.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    trumpet/trombone has nothing to do with your aperature. It will affect your chops though (the geometry is different).

Whether that is good or bad is different for every player.

Playing the trombone part on a flugelhorn would make more sense to me than switching to valve trombone (what a MISERABLE INSTRUMENT) however. Any switch to trombone should be with the slide trombone.

I can switch between trumpet, tenor horn and tuba with only a short transition time. Breathing on the tuba is very good isometrics for trumpet phrasing.

3. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I'm not sure how much hardware investment you would want to make for what is probably a school-owned instrument, but there are a few mouthpieces on the market which offer a good compromise between sound quality and rim size. Something like a Schilke 40 is one possibility, but by far the best in my experience is the Parduba 3-Star - a massive hunk of metal, but a comfortable size for a trumpet player who has to double. To me, the sound is much closer to "normal" for trombone when using the Parduba. You can certainly learn to double or switch without a special mouthpiece; even I did it for quite a while. But on the rare occasions when I want to whip out the old cavalry trombone, the Parduba has made it much easier to handle.

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    While in college I took up slide trombone for a method class , and enjoyed it , once I got used to switching back and forth it would only take me a few measures to feel comfortable again. As far as the valve bone being a miserable instrument , ever hear of Juan Tizol or Bob Brookmeyer , Maynard Ferguson? Remember to be able to play two instruments ,you have to practice twice as long. There's a huge difference in tone,and timbre between valve bone and flugelhorn horn,that's why we have trombone sections in bands and orchestras and not sections with maybe some bones ,maybe some flugels , so if this student is helping to fill the trombone section, valve bone would definitely give a better blend than a flugel.

5. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    Is there any hindering effect by playing more than one brass instrument ,as long as you practice your main instrumnet more?

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    No, listen to Maynard ,he played trombone, french horn, baritone horn, oboe ,sax and oh yeah trumpet.James Morrison is another multi instrument performer. The other instruments didn't seem to hurt their trumpet playing.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Having trumpet players play euphonium has always helped the students that I switched. When they came back to trumpet they seemed stronger. I have played some trombone with my school jazz band, and it had good results for me. I had my son, a very fine trumpet player, play tuba in my school bands for a year to fill a hole. It didn't hurt him a bit. The only danger is you might find that you really like the voice range of the instrument and wind up playing full time euphonium or trombone.

8. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    I love the trumpet over all so I'm not worried abuot liked the trombone, but I have been playing the tiba quite a bit and I am thouroghly enjoying it. I have been learning a wide variety of brass instruments, I can play about 9 different types.