My throat hurts!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PrettyT, Feb 17, 2007.

1. PrettyT

PrettyT New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Hawaii
    I tried to imagine what a rose smells like while playing lol and it just doesn't keep that sucker open!!

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I heard a seminar on this at one of the trumpet guild conferences. It was Armando Ghitalla who recommended thinking the English sound Ah, as in "Ahhhh that feels good". But, he also said he liked the French Au as in "Oh say can you see" but more French. His discussion may have had to do with tongue level in the mouth but I would think it could help in keeping the throat open.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the term open or closed is confusing. Your throat cannot open or close except with sleep apnea. You may be playing tense or be grunting/singing while playing. The former is caused very often by bad breathing habits. You need to inhale, then IMMEDIATELY exhale without holding the air in. This needs to be very intensively practiced.
    Grunting or singing involves the VOCAL CHORDS doing undesirable things while playing. Curing this is tougher. A good teacher can help a lot here. I do not know of any successful self help methods except practicing VERY slowly and watching in a mirror.