my tone has diminished

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet520, Mar 12, 2007.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    How about the same tie, but a different knot?:cool:

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    VB,
    THAT is knot any of your business!

Actually, I am happy that I show up to most gigs in black, with 2 black socks a trumpet and the right mouthpiece. Multiple knots would distract me before leaving home and endanger my consistency.............

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    This could merit its own tread. Awhile back, I bought from JC Penny some 7 pairs of black socks. 14 socks.

I'm down 5 socks 6 months later.

Is there sock thievery afoot?!! Where do they go?

Richard

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    All right, whose been taking Richard's socks? Check your bell for some JC Penny socks, Trumpet520!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    5 freshly washed socks would make a great practice mute (even numbers are not resonant enough-we need those odd harmonics). A better blow than commercially available mutes for sure!

6. trumpetera

trumpetera Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2006
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I would still try to take a day off the trumpet, kind of like rebooting, and practice CAREFULLY the next day.

I've had this problem (or something similar )quite a few times when beeing overworked and having changed instruments and styles too much.

I'm not talking about changing between Bb an C, but between natural trumpet-cornetto-modern trumpet, classical playing- rock/pop/bigband playing.

I used to try to force myself back into shape when this hapened, but it only used to make things worse.

Note that I'm ONLY talking about the example I'm describing, I'm NOT one of those who believe one can rest ones chops into shape!

Hope I was moore helpful now than in my previous post!

Cheers!

trumpetera

Cheers

7. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    don't feel bad....
    I lost ALL my range in just 2 days and It beats me why...
    I went from being able to hit a nice e on a good day with good tone...
    2 days later BAM can't even hit an f which most people can do in their first month of playing.... =S

8. Jon Kratzer

Jon Kratzer Pianissimo User

Nov 27, 2003
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I feel like a broken record here almost repeating everything they've said but here is my experience. You need to treat your body well. I woke up one day and I had I thought I had a stroke, it turned out to be bell's palsy but it sure made me look at life differently. It was almost 6 months before I was even ready to play in public. I'm thankfully recovered almost all the way, and still makinga living doing this. Get back the basics! Long tones, scales, low soft. Easy melodies like Mary had a little lamb....Straying from the basics will only hurt you. Get some vitamin E oil and put it on your lips before you go to bed, it's good for cell regeneration and will help rebuild the damaged muscles.

We've all been through this and will continue to. It's hard, but you have to remain diligent and focused if you want to progress your playing. I coached a high school jazz band today and the first thing I did was work on their sound. They sounded great after we did some work on sound and control.

GOod luck and take it easy on yourself, the body needs R&R some times.

Jon