My trip to ITG

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Jun 2, 2007.

1. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I never understood what ITG is.
    I was very impressed in my two days there.
    I am not a member, but I think I am going to join.
    The whole idea of bringing trumpet players together in a venue like this is great. When I was a student, if I could have attended one of these conferences I'm sure that I would be working in the music industry today.

The first thing I went to was the Maynard tribute. It was done differently then I expected but a really nice thing. I made some friends that I probably will never see again and it was nice.

After that I walked around and tried some trumpets and went to the Monette booth and tried some trumpets. While at Monette I was introduced to Patrick Hession and I talked with him for a while and listened to him play. I was very impressed that he could play in the low register and go up higher then I thought I could hear. I think he was playing triple high G. The next day I heard him playing legit things. It's kind of incredible. Later that night he was a guest with a big band. Outstanding job. I drove up that day and it was getting too late for me so I had to leave at half time. I heard the next day that I missed a really good second half.

(Going back to the afternoon) Next for me was going to a talk with Manny. I heard a couple of new ideas for me and some great playing. Manny talked about a way of teaching, putting numbers over the notes to say how much to lean or back off of each note. I think it's a great idea. That was a big one for me in future learning and teaching.

The next morning I went to a talk by Charlie Schlueter. Charlie played and talked. At the end he got a standing ovation. That was the only one that I saw (there might have been others). For me listening to Charlie talk really brought the whole idea of how to get a job down to my level. It's a long process that starts at my level. The whole idea of the get together at ITG made me realize how small the industry is. You never know who you are sitting next to. I had a chance to sit next to some famous players and talk with them as an equal. Charlie's playing is always a pleasure to listen to. He received applause after many excerpts.

The next thing I saw was a New Works Recital. I don't really like new stuff but I wanted to see the people performing. What a surprise!! The works were great. They were new works written by a trumpet player. He said that he wrote what he likes to play. What a great idea. I stayed and waited in a long line to talk with the composer (James Stephenson) He is a nice humble guy with a BIG talent. I did buy some of his music.

I walked around and played a bunch of trumpets. The big surprise for me was the Edwards trumpet. A friend of mine brought me to the booth because he played it and liked it. I took one look and thought it couldn't play as I watched the guy in the booth put the parts together. When I played it, it played great. They have a stress thing on the valve block that puts stress on the bell as needed. I thought it made the trumpet play poorly when you added stress but maybe some players would like it. It showed me how just a little stress can change the way the horn plays drastically. Anyway, I think my friend is going to get one.

I went back up to the Monette booth and talked with Charlie and Manny and others about getting a trumpet. Talk about intimidating playing in that room. Charlie had a mini King picc. and they were passing it around playing stuff. A concert for me for sure. I put in an order for a MF Prana B-flat. I don't know how I'm going to pay for it but it played too good to not get it. I might have to sell one of my other Monette trumpets but maybe not.

Thanks for reading. Good thing I didn't stay another day. This thing would never end.

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Great post Joe! I have been to a few conferences and know what you're feeling. I wish I could have gone to this one but had some family issues that came up.

The MF Prana is amazing, huh? I just played a gig with a guy who has one and he let me play it. Darn that sound is versatile and HUGE! All in a light weight horn. If I bought one my wife would kill me though, so I'll just keep on what I have (which is astounding!).

Best,

T

3. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Joe,

Thanks for your unembellished description.

I very much enjoyed reading it, and felt as if I could see the ITG through your eyes, ears, and heart.

Really Great,

Richard

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Joe,
    you make me wish that I had gone! Glad that you had a great time with all of those famous, talented, great, normal people!

5. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    Joe,
    It sounds like you had an absolutely wonderful time! I'm still a student and would definitely love to go along to one of these conventions - your description makes it sound like a place of dreams! Thanks so much for the entertaining and considered account.

Chris.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    So you all should join us in Banff, Canada next year. I talked to the organizer and she will have the camp grounds and the hostel open for low cost housing.

Start planning.

The Big Phat Band was really good. I sat in front and had no problem with sound. People who sat in the back said it was way too loud. Wayne was great and so was the rest of the section.

I talked to Manny tonight while I was at Carol Dawn Reinhart's table. We had a beer together then I had to leave. I'll post some more when I get home.

Jim

7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Jim,

Am looking forward to coming to Banff next year! After you arrive home, tell us all about the conference please.

Richard

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Banff -- that's only 11 hours from the Mission here in Seattle!

9. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    Joe,

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your ITG experience.

You will enjoy this post and the associated CD based on your description of Manny’s class: Tabuteau on Tone.

10. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    Derek,
    Thanks,
    I ordered the CD. I asked Manny at ITG if he would number something that we all know but he said that we had to decide what number belongs where (I think).

I think if we could get Manny to number a tune and scan it in and post it here it would be a big help to us all.

Thanks again,
    Joe