My tripe to the big city music store

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dark Knight, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    My trip to the big city music store just dropped my jaw. I saw trumpets hanging on that wall that you all have been talking about. I got to hold a Getzen; it is one heavy horn. I got to finally see Yamaha trumpets I have only been reading about. It was so exciting. I almost hate to say it but I still love my Bach Stradivarius ML 37. We have been “married” for over 30 years. No desire for a new horn but it was fun to see what I have been reading about here on TM.

While I was there, I purchased Claude Gordon’s “Brass is no Harder than Deep Breathing”. I was excited to purchase the remainder of the Rubank series (ie., the intermediate books and the two advanced volumes). I absolutely love the Rubank system because it is so graduated and logical. Each lesson contains all the things TM has recommended should be in a single practice session.

The most exciting purchase of all……(drum roll)…...was a Yamaha Silent Brass System. My family is ecstatic. I have taken to heart the advice about multiple, shorter practice sessions throughout the day. But, my wife has complained that the “torture” seems to never end. In fact, the neighbours have remarked to my wife, “thank God he is finally getting better.” Well, I demonstrated the Silent System for the family, and it was the first time I ever got applause while playing my trumpet. I am a very happy camper tonight. The Yamaha Silent Brass System gives me the freedom to practice not only at night when the family is sleeping but in hotel rooms when I travel for business. I have been trying it out and it is way less restrictive than any of my mutes. I have read about the back pressure but it seems OK so far. I would still prefer to practive without it but it does allow me more opportunities.

Best Wishes to All,

David

2. Doctor Squeak

Doctor Squeak Pianissimo User

Jul 30, 2010
    Would you mind elaborating on the "multiple, shorter practice sessions?" And how quiet is the Yamaha system, stacked up against say, a straight mute or buzzing a mouthpiece?
    Thanks

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Oh those big city music stores are SO great!

I just don't feel I'm ready yet to busk at the Mountain View Farmer's Market, maybe next weekend, but in a couple of weeks I'm hoping to come into a couple of hundred dollars at least, and that means ... BUS RIDE!!!!! #68 to Diridon, then take the train because it's faster than a burro (unlike the #22) to Mountain View where on Castro Street there's a music store, decent busking street anyway I think, any time, but I might get an Arban's and who knows what else books ....

I'm so glad to be rural, between the donkey, chickens, My Evil Minions AKA 18 geese, and who knows what else, including bored CalTrain engineers with their fingers on the horn button late at night, I could play a war tuba and no one would care ....

Big-city music stores .... .drool.

I tried a Yamaha Silent Brass long ago, found it stuffy not fluffy, I've heard shutting oneself into a bathroom can help, or using a standard practice mute.

4. Dark Knight

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Hi Doctor Squeak,

I have read about the Yamaha Silent Brass System for quite a while and thought: what is the difference between that and any of the mutes that I won. Well, upon trying it out for myslef, I noticed a big difference, which why I never ordered one blindly off of Amazon or eBay. The Silent system was much more "free blowing" than any of my mutes. My mutes require much more work, or air pressure. Mouthpiece buzzing can still be quite loud. Plus, you do not get the experience of actually playing the trumpet.

The multiple shoter sessions for me are two 30 to 45 minute sessions spaced by an equal amount of time.

Best Wishes,

David

5. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I've never used the silent brass system but, I have read a lot on here about it.

There is a concern about using it too much so when you play without it the resistance is different causing problems playing live.

6. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I've used the silent brass as well as various practice mutes, and find that as long as one does play frequently without the practice mute in place, using one is fine.

The switch is more mental I find, between playing with the practice mute in place and without it. As long as I remind myself the mute isn't there and spend a moment or two playing scales with the open trumpet there's no problem.

I don't find the Silent Brass to be any quieter than my Trum-Cor Lyric Stealth mute, so I'll use either one depending on whether I want the electronic toys or not.

7. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I don't own a Silent Brass ,but I have tried one. The biggest difference I found was the sound you hear.With most regular practice mutes ,the player has a tendency to over blow,with the Silent Brass you don't have to,to hear yourself,and the sound is great.I know it's not as good as playing with no mute,but we were discussing the difference between practice mutes,not the pro's and con's practicing with or without a mute.

8. Dark Knight

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I hadn't planned on using Silent Brass right away, only when necessary. Well, last night I got home at around 10 pm and thought all of my kids were still up. About 10 minutes in to my practice session, my daughter who was asleep came to my room as asked if I could use it sooner rather than later. I got in a full practice session in last night when I would have not otherwise been able.

While not completely natural, it was still pretty good blowing and no where near my regular mutes. A certain part of me thinks that the Silent Brass System may be a good way to understand breath control in terms of coordination between the chops and diaphram. At any rate, it was good.

David

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Hey since the title is your "tripe" to the music store, did you celebrate your purchases by having a bowl of menudo afterward?

10. Dark Knight

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    I noticed the extra "e" but can't figure out how to change it. I even wish there was a way to get an avatar, now.

David