My trumpet is in the bath

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by B15M, Dec 12, 2009.

1. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    unfortunately for me no matter how "free" the food is i can never partake in it. if i eat anything within an hour of playing i get real gassy and wind up belching randomly during a performance. it really sucks because with "dinner" gigs with my brass band a free meal is always negotiated.

there's nothing like playing a sweet victorian piece and then hearing one of the cornets burp in the middle of it...

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I fought with this too. Since I can't always eat non-gassy stuff, I was looking for a workaround and found a tablet called Simethicon. It has solved my gas problem. It works for about 6 hours.

3. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    interesting, simethicon is in rolaids and gas-x. i use rolaids whenever i have heartburn, which isn't often. i'll have to try it before rehearsal, that's the worst - i leave work, grab some fast food, then go straight to rehearsal, all within two hours. thanks!

4. aerotim13

aerotim13 New Friend

Apr 24, 2009
    Rolla, Missouri
    improv solo quality is proportional to amount of alcohol consumed. well, or maybe i just think it sounds better :dontknow:

5. Phil

Phil Pianissimo User

Jun 7, 2009
    Cookeville
    be wary of eating and playing. eating bloats your stomach making it have less give to the diaphragm pushing down, so in effect you can't breathe as well. Also, eating and drinking anything other than water causing your body to produce acid to digest the food which works its way to the mouth (not enough to be noticed such as in people with acid reflux) and this acid can get in your horn eating away at the metal. I always brush my teeth and use mouthwash before playing ;-)

6. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Pour some blue cheese dressing down the leadpipe and put a stalk of celery in the bell.

7. WGing

WGing New Friend

Dec 15, 2009
    Don't forget mayonnaise in the valves