My trumpet project

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jan 26, 2005.

1. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Isn't it great that we might have different ways of resolving this issue, but we all have Van's best interest as our main concern!?!?!?! I know some other boards where the crowd would be gathering as they take him to be fed to the lions!

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bandman,

And THAT is the TM vibe that I'm talking about.

ML

3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Well, Van you are on the right side of this battle and his ignorance is obvious. Remember the old saying about a little knowledge being dangerous? Well, in this guy's case its deadly. He actually said "B&S Intermediate is the best that can be got"?? Unbelievable!

Let's talk about some real values on new horns:

First, anything made in the Kanstul factory. All the guys who are old horn junkies, like Tom Turner, can tell you that Kanstul makes very high quality horns, and he makes a lot of horns for a lot of different brands. That said, you can buy a new Zeus, which is basically a Bach Strad knock-off made by Kanstul, for $1075 brand new. I've had mine for two years and no way in H I'd trade it for a new Bach or Yamaha!!

Kanstul also makes an Olds type of horn I believe called the KTR 700 that sells for under $1000 and has been favorably reviewed.( See Pick music)

But hey, don't take my word for it, find a Kanstul or Zeus dealer and play the horns for yourself back to back against a new Bach or Yamaha and ask yourself why pay the extra cash?

Now, what about used horns?

Again, anything made by Kanstul and there are a bunch of them, Kanstul, Burbank, Callet, Zeus, F. Besson (stamped Kanstul on valves) , Wild Thing, etc. A solid used example of any of these (except WT and Callet) can be found for well under $1000.

Benge's made before Zig Kanstul left Benge in the 70's. There are a ton of them and they can be found for $500 just about anywhere.

Anything made by Olds with a serial number under 200,000 or so ~ late fifties. These horns were amazing. I bought a 56 Olds Ambassador a few weeks ago that plays good, has nice fast valves and better intonation than any horn I've ever played. All for $135!!!

Older used Bach Strads (197? or earlier).

Older King Silverflares (1960's or earlier).

Older used Getzen Severensen horns (Mid 1970's or earlier).

Older Connstellation's, Martin's and so on.

These are a few ideas, not everything, to get you started. Between ebay, TrumpetMaster and TrumpetHerald you can find just about all the info you need to 'educate' your director.

Good luck,

Greg

4. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    I am sorry that I offended you. I wasn't talking about H2K's Band Teacher I was talking more in general. You sound like an Awsome band teacher because you care about you students. What I meant was teacher's like trickg's. I also was talking about teachers who put no effort into teaching. For instance in band I have watched 5-7 movies only 1 had anything to do with music. I am sorry that what I said may have offended you or other band teachers. Yes a degree does make a difference. I didn't mean to hurt anyones feelings please forgive me.

humblely,

Student Trumpet

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Ahh, see what happenes when I don't get a chance to check whats going on a whole day? :lol:

I apologize for the slowness, ladies and gentlemen, but i was doing my part as a "Band Ambassador" today.

I haven't yet had the chance to read all of these posts, so I'll start by my reply to Bandman.

I need to go ahead and tell you guys that I waited until I got online to vent my anger. I did not get into an argument with him during the conversation, because it would have got into my teaching time. At the time, I let what he said go. The more I have thought about it, though, the more its pissed me off. Not just because he disagrees with what I suggest, but the fact that the reason he disagrees with me is based on my age. I despise being taken lightly because of my age, especially when its over something I have really, REALLY done homework on (If you look around, you will find that the WWBW actually ISN'T the absolute best place to get a $1050 trumpet).

However, I don't want to sit down and tell him he's wrong without producing something to back my argument up. Thats why I want to create this book. That, and now that I think about it, this may turn out to be a pretty fun little project...

Going slightly off on a tangent, its sometimes so aggravating, how if I was 40 and said the exact same thing I say now, people would take it with more seriousness, it seems like. Most people my age are out drinking, having unprotected sex, or something equally stupid. I am out giving lessons (Actually, at this store I teach at in Lebanon, I'm replacing a fellow twice my age who ducked out of the position because he was not paying overhead to the store. He just didn't go to his lessons one day, and hasn't been seen since), learning piano, percussion, as well as trying to work up a decent singing voice, AND learning the Farkas embochure (Lets not forget the other classes I take as part of my major). I don't like feeling as if I'm being but in the same boat as the "others." Sorry if I am misinterpretting something, but thats *SUCH* a pet peeve with me... :x

Van

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Gosh, this topic has pulled a lot of replies!

This director in question I do have a lot, A LOT of professional respect for. He played with my current turmpet instructor in the Jack Daniels band, and he was counted among the finest players in the US armed serices. He went to these really special ensembles in the Navy band, though I cannot remember the name of it.

Yes, I do very much see everyone's point in not directly challenging authority, and in retrospect, I am very glad I am not a confrontational person.

This requires another reply in a minute, sorry for all the replies in a row, but my connection is so slow and unreliable...

Van

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, I think that just making this booklet (I don't want it in a brochure format) just to spite him would not have good results. Actually, I have had this idea imbedded in my head since I read Jim Donaldson's take on what Bb you should buy, and thinking I could do a better job, lol. This little confrontation actually has been whats given me the real initiative to do it. I am actually thinking about getting it put online...

About the band director. Even though I have respect professionally for the man, I don't have *ANY* personal respect for him now. Anyone that basically charges up to me, says

"We need to get (kid) a new horn, that one you're letting him use is a piece of junk."

and then following it with

"And your ideas for getting them horns is bunk, the B&S Intermediate out of the WWBW catalogue is the best deal out there, and having them do these wild goose chases like you do is not the way they should go."

Does not make me like a person very well.. :x

HOWEVER, I should not let this be my only motivation for undertaking this project, right?

You guys are awesome, thanks for being here, lol.

Van

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have the webspace :-P

Jim

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Van,

I guess I've said what I have to say, but I'm going to ask you one more time, please don't go to this guy trying to prove your point. A young person like you has a lot to offer. Yes, I respect you for the positive things you are doing with your life and they are exactly why I'm asking you not to jeopardize your future based upon an argument driven by pride.

There are more important times to fight a battle, and yes, you might be on the right side of this battle. Don't ever forget that you may have to lose a battle or two to win the war.

Keep your mouth shut and use your influence as a private teacher and help these kids be the best players they can be. If you mess with him, and then lose students out of your studio because you took a stand, the students are the ones hurt - not the teacher.

I wish you luck, but hope that you back off of your position and let the older gentleman take the lead with this issue. Like I said, you may win the battle, but you're going to lose the war. The real loser will be the students who will lose you as their instructor.

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Now, comes the hardest part of any project.

STARTING.

Van