My Trumpet seems to fail, and it is a Bach Strad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by faulken, Nov 5, 2013.

1. badenia

badenia Piano User

Oct 25, 2013
    California
    Interesting discussion on mpc gap. Is there a standard or does each manufacturer have their own? It also seems interesting that Bach would have a gap issue, since they also produce the mpc.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a very good-playing Bach Strad, circa 1976, and the gap is right at 1/8". I would think that's about right for a Bach, and it's easy to check. Insert your mouthpiece and hold your thumbnail where the edge of the receiver comes to on the mouthpiece shank, and pull the mouthpiece out. With the other hand, take something like a toothpick or unsharpened wooden pencil and slide it into the receiver until it hits the lip inside. Hold your thumbnail on it where the edge of the receiver comes to, and pull it out. Compare the two lengths - the difference is the gap.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The reason some mouthpiece makers produce "sleeves" is to allow use of different diameter shanks (with the same taper rate) on the same cup/throat/backbore arrangement. By changing sleeves you can move the shank end of the mouthpiece closer or further from the ridge or shelf which is created where the leadpipe ends within the receiver.

You can put a piece paper or tape on the mouthpiece you have to increase the shank diameter and the gap will get larger. If the gap is too small now you will notice a response change. Unfortunately, if the gap is too large (much more than 3/16 or 1/4"), which you can determine by following Dale's measuring instructions, the only way to reduce it is to get the mouthpiece shank made smaller or the receiver inside made bigger, or by using sleeves which require a modification of the mouthpiece.

If you have a common mouthpiece size, the cheapest alternative is to have buy one and have the shank made smaller.

4. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  5. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    So overall depth to lip is 1- 5/64". With 1/8" gap cannot go past 61/64th's. I checked that most of time when I place the mouthpiece in, the mouthpiece is going in too deep. If I gently place in and light twist it seems to rectify this cracking D. sometimes when I play A from say low C or D I might just put a piece of tape to remind me where to stop. This is all new to me...thanks for the help and information

6. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Like Veery715 said, put one layer of tape around the end of the mouthpiece shank, put it in the horn and try that. It's a temporary way to increase the gap, and you can see if the horn plays better that way.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's a Strad - it probably already has too much gap, so the paper/tape trick might not help it.

8. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks very much to everyone that has posted. I appreciate much that people know things that I didn't and are willing to share. It is funny to have something that little throw your playing off. I think if I couldn't get help the poor Strad was going to the auction block. not any more. I think my sweet spot is larger than 1/8" gap. gonna play around with it and find the sweet spot for gap.

9. faulken

faulken Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    @ trickg I think it is too little. gonna play around till it works

If tape works, and get a sweet gap depth, then either cut the shank down or order a custom shank length

10. Dale Proctor

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Cutting the mouthpiece shank down will live you less gap, not more. When you have too little gap, the best fixes are something like Reeves sleeves or a different (or relocated) receiver on the horn.