My Trumpet Won't Play. D:

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aiiro, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Aiiro

Aiiro New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    I cleaned my trumpet and then left it in the bath tub to soak for about half an hour. But when I put it back together, air won't travel through the horn. The cork on the tuning slide seems to be blocking air. I think it might be because it's wet or something.
    Please, should I let it dry or something? Any suggestions?
    I have jazz band evaluation tomorrow with my school's band, and I won't be able to play!

And, yes, I'm new here, I just don't have time to introduce myself because I'm in a hurry. Sorry.

2. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Take off the tuning slide, and gently blow into it, make sure air can get through... same thing with the lead pipe... if both of those have a clear airway, you probably just have the valves spun in the wrong directions, or maybe even have the valves in the wrong casing... there should be little numbers on each top of each valve to indicate which port they go in.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hi Aiiro, and welcome! This happened to me the first time I cleaned my trumpet, and it was because I didn't have the valves in correctly. Double check that the pistons are in the right valves (I didn't know the numbers were stamped on the top and had to try a bunch of combinations) or that the pistons are turned the wrong way. Please let us know what you find out! Good luck!

4. Aiiro

Aiiro New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    Alright, thank you. I'm just so uptight right now because our evaluation is tomorrow and I couldn't get my trumpet to work. I'll try blowing into it now.

5. S-Money

S-Money Pianissimo User

Dec 8, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    yeah, welcome, and good luck!

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Your valves are in wrong.

Would you mind terribly using a larger font?

ML

7. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah that whole valve thing got me good.... See on my King Bb Trumpet it don't matter they go in and you can't get em' wrong.

Not so with my Bach C. Man I remember putting valve oil on the valves putting them back in and getting ready for this great FFF entrance that I had in the music I was playing. Entrance came; I tanked up and blew my eyeballs right out of my skull with backpressure. :shock:

Lesson learned! :-)

8. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    whew... I thought it was only me...

9. Aiiro

Aiiro New Friend

Mar 23, 2007
    Sorry about the font thing. I'm used to typing in smaller fonts.

Well, I took it to my teacher this morning and, as it turns out, the valves were in the wrong place. But it was wierd, 'cause all last night I was switching the combination around and put it in the right order, and it still wouldn't work.

Anyways, we played today and got a Superior. Hooray. =D

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    It is possible to get the right pistons in the right holes but get one (or more) of 'em rotated 180 degrees. The effect will be the same.