My Uncle's Strad

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I just got my grubby paws on it a few hours ago. It is an older (by my youthful standards) strad, made in 1994 (serial number 424933). Have been playing and comparing to my 2000 strad for about an hour and a half (Arutunian's Concerto, Handel's Aria con Variazioni, Concone Studies).

Noticed the '94 is a BIT heavier than my '00, especially around the valves (The valve pops are noisier as well?). Both of these strads are model 37, with my '00 having the heavy caps option. Also noticed a lyre holder (?), and that the bell goes a bit higher up than my '00.

I was wondering if anyone here is an authority on the Bach Stradivarius, and can tell me what difference in the '94's build makes it so much heavier than my '00? Is it the valves (If I am guessing correctly, I am going to dance my happy dance :D )?

2. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    I don't think this has anything to do with the weight, but the louder valve "pops" mean that the compression on the '94 is better. This seems somewhat unusual to me, because normally older horns have less compression (makes sense, right?). Unless of course, your horn was just built with leakier valves.

I don't know the answer to the weight question, though. Perhaps it's a question on metal valve guides vs. plastic ones?

Romey, do you know?

3. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Hmmm. My uncle played this for only two years, and he was never known to be very practice-orriented. The compression deal might be due to lack of use. This strad hadn't been cleaned before it was put away almost eight years ago, and I almost thought the slides were rotting! Fortunately, it was only old slide grease that came off in a (long overdue) bath. Other than one spot on the tuning slide (May have to be junked...), the whole thing is in good condition. Guess I'll be paying a visit to Murfreesboro this week...

Wonder how much it costs to get silver plating removed (Guess that should be a new thread)?

4. trpguyy

trpguyy Piano User

Nov 26, 2003
    Why would you remove silver plating? It's certainly possible to remove plating from anything, but I've never heard of anyone having their horn un-plated.

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    This may be obvious, but is the older strad a lightweight? Look for a star on the bell.

6. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Nay, I see no star on either horn.....

Trpguyy, I am a weird one, I am. This trumpet was given to me to do "whatever the heck I want to do with it." If I want to get parts replaced, or if I just want to see the whole darned thing, its my call. I like of think of weird things to do to horns (Always wanted a trumpet that could shoot napalm :twisted: )....

7. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    kids... these days.....
    greg