My Unusual Ability

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jabbott, May 22, 2008.

1. jabbott

jabbott New Friend

May 22, 2008
    La Plata, Maryland
    I am a junior in high school, and my mouthpiece placement is on the right side of my mouth, not centered. This has no particular benefit, but doesn't hold me back either. If you or anyone you know does this, please let me know. I don't want to be the only person that has this unusual placement.

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Don't worry about.

It is not at all unusual.

-cw-

3. jabbott

jabbott New Friend

May 22, 2008
    La Plata, Maryland

If that's true, then my trumpet teacher definately must have exaggerated on this.

4. Trumpet guy

Trumpet guy Forte User

Feb 9, 2008
    California
  5. jabbott

jabbott New Friend

May 22, 2008
    La Plata, Maryland
    I am definately tell my teacher about this. He is trying to make me center the mouthpiece, although I am above average for the high school level. I believe this would most likely be a mistake on his part.

6. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    One of the greatest trumpet players in the world, the late Maynard Ferguson, played to the right of center.
    If I remember correctly, I think his lead trumpeter Lin Biviano did, too.

Many trumpet players must play a little to the left or right of center because of irregularities in the front teeth.
    The players must play to the left or to the right to avoid those irregularities and to find a firm foundation on the front teeth.

So if your mouthpiece has a firm foundation on the front teeth and you are playing well, then don't worry about it.
    You should worry about a teacher who might mess up your embouchure by forcing you to change it / move it.

Exception: If your mouthpiece placement is *way* *way* to the side, I think I once read that might possibly lead to a weakness on one side of the embouchure.
    But a little bit to the side is no big deal.

- Morris

7. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Don't worry about it, I played on the left side all through my early career, no issue. Got a music scholarship into prep school. In fact at about my junior year, got a private teacher, tried to move me to the center, didn't work. Besides, being on one side or the other makes it easier to read music on the lyre while marching!

8. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    I play to the left.

Don't tell your teacher he is wrong. If you have straight teeth and a do not have a cupid's bow then you should try to center the mouthpiece.

A cupids bow changes brass players to woodwind players. Except me.

9. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    OK, I'll swallow my pride and admit my ignorance.

What is a "cupid's bow"?

When I hear the answer I'll probably kick myself for not knowing something so obvious.

- Morris

10. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    A cupids bow changes brass players to woodwind players? Who told you *that*? That really has nothing to do with embouchure. Most people's lips have at least an approximate cupids bow.