My Unusual Ability

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jabbott, May 22, 2008.

1. Annie

Annie Piano User

Nov 13, 2003
    Unless your teacher is inexperienced, usually he/she knows what he/she is talking about. Sometimes, it is best to at least try what the teacher is advising you to do - if the change doesn't work, it is just as easy to go back - little harm done. Trust your teacher.

While it is true that not everyone plays in the center, many do. I've had several students who were decent players slightly to one side or the other that found improvements when changing to the center. It is physically the best spot for airflow unless the teeth/mouth layout implies a different direct path for airflow.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Hi Morris, here is a definition:
    the double curve of the upper lip when considered to resemble Cupid's bow. Also the definition of Cupid's Bow: a curved bow with reversed curve ends. Also: An archery bow that curves inward at the center an usually outward at the ends.

I think of a composite bow the Mongols used to shoot from horseback.

I've played over 50 yrs a bit toward the right, due to my mouth and tooth structure. Forcing an unnatural position on a student, for form's sake, is not right , in my opinion.

3. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    If it ain't broke...don't fix it. As long as you can do everything that you need to do, it's fine.

4. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    But what if you can do what you need to do now - because you are at a certain level, but it holds you back later from doing more advanced things? Then you'll have to retrain yourself - I know it's done, but developing good technique to begin with is better than having to relearn isn't it?

AND YET, I also agree with your statement - if it won't hold you back later. So the big question is, "How can you tell if it will be a problem somewhere down the line?"

5. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Well, I play a little to the left side. A while back, I centered it up, lost a lot of range and tone for a while, but got it back. Eventually, though, I resorted back to playing on the side. I think it's different for every person the best way he or she can play the instrument, but if you do have to center it, you should eventually be able to get all of your playing abilities back with time.

6. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    A trumpet teacher told me that 42 years ago.
    Did you read all of my post? I said, "EXCEPT ME!"

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I would have thought that the centre of an off the face buzz was the ideal focal point for the mouthpiece - that is how I have established mine - just a gnat's nut left of centre. Buzz, feel for the centre of the vibrating lips, centre your mouthpiece at that point.

Do any of you real experts have an imput to straighten us out?
    :dontknow: