My wife says I'm an idiot...she might be right

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlynch, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I second that!

Ultrapure oil,

Slide grease for tuning slide and

Lite slide grease for valve slides.

You'll never change again.

-cw-

2. jmh

jmh New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    The Selmer stuff is more like a sealant than a lubricant -- I use it to make sure slides *don't move* on their own -- like tuning slides, or the 3rd spitvalve extension slide on my old Bach.

For the slides you want to move quickly, go for what the Trombone players use. I use SuperSlick. Sometimes a drop of valve oil on top of that too.

J

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I use the red Selmer stuff on all my slides. I use very little on the 1st and 3rd slides, and cut it with some Blue Juice to speed up the action. I'm sure many other combos will work equally well. It boils down to not using straight slide grease on the 1st and 3rd if you want them to move easily for individual note tuning.

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    PM Me?... Chuck.... Chuck... Chuck....

My opinion varies depending on the day regarding marriage. Let's just say I'm married and divorced with children and re-married.

I don't want to change the topical content of the thread so I'll stop there; let me just say that I completely understand deceased comedian Sam Kinison's viewpoint regarding marriage. Arghhhh Arghhhhh! :shock:

Back on topic; you've got good advice here. I use super slick slide greese on all the slides and Blue Juice on the valves. Wipe off the excess and play for all I'm worth!

5. Scooter01

Scooter01 Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2006
    I use the Selmer red grease and have for many years. I've tried about everything else but here's what works for me. Selmer slide grease on all slides and I suppliment with slide oil on the first and third slides. Slide oil is heavier than valve oil and seems to last longer. I've tried it without the grease but it does seem to require more frequent application, so I use oil with the grease. As for the blackish gray stuff. I find if I polish the horn first, then apply the grease it will wipe off cleanly with a paper towel moistened in valve oil. Always use a clean towel, the gunk is easily transferred elsewhere on the horn. If you polish after you grease the slides, the gunk is much more of a problem.

6. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
  7. kctrump

kctrump New Friend

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm also a proud owner of a WT and love it. I use Binak grease...good stuff. I use the ultra pure oil.

I'm also a comeback player. My running joke (to myself) is...How do I know if I'm warmed up? My wife hollers from upstairs....are you done yet?

-Wa

8. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    Just use good old 'Vaseline', AKA, petrolium jelly, on mobile slides,...this is what I use on the triggered slides of my B&H 'Sovereign' cornet and the slide extention and return are close to instantaneous when the triggers are activated.

Be careful to only apply a small smear of the grease in the middle of the slide bearing area,...then 'work' the slide repeatedly until you are happy with the slide action.

A small word of warning;.....make sure that the slides of WT are properly aligned as this instrument is made by Kanstul and the only instrument of this make which I have experienced had very poor slide action which turned out to be poorly aligned slides Which had to be 'improved' by Eclipse.

On the wife issue;...you all think you have problems??....my wife is my band musical director..!!!!!!

9. Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley Pianissimo User

Jan 16, 2007
    Kansas City
    Another big Ultra Pure proponent here. With a high end horn like a Wild Thing I wouldn't touch it with anything else. I buy the Ultra Pure in the big 8oz tumbler-- cheaper that way and then transfer it over into the little bottles as needed. These are the sort of lifes details the wifes are better off just not knowing...

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  10. mlynch

mlynch New Friend

Jan 4, 2007
    Thanks for all of the good advice. Majority rules in this instance, and I've put in an order for Ultra-Pure regular and light slide grease. For now, I guess that I'll continue to use my Blue Juice on the valves. I like the quick action and the cleaning properties.

Thankfully, after a lot of elbow grease, the WT is looking good again and I even got a good night's sleep (and not on the sofa). All's well that ends well.

Thanks TM community for all the words of wisdom.