MYS!!!

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by SamTheMan, Jun 30, 2005.

1. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Wow Manny, is this for real? I have always been a TrumpetHerald user, until I stumbled upon a link in someone's post that mentioned you being a mentor on Trumpet Master. I never knew they had devoted a whole help forum to you! I was in the MYS Philharmonic last year (04-05) and am planning to audition again.

I don't know if this is personal since I'm going to be auditioning for YOUR orchestras, but I was wondering if you had any hints/tips about solos that you enjoy hearing in auditions. Although it's tough to answer, you've obviously had lots of audition experience, just looking for a little insight.

Thanks a lot,
    Sam Callahan

(My mother, Kris Callahan, has the honors of being on your answering machine right now...)

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Sam,

The most important thing to remember is to be as solid as you can at everything you do. The scales don't have to be lightning fast but steady and very well prepared. The solo has to sound like you really love playing it. The excerpt must be well prepared. Practice lots of transposed duets with your teacher for sight reading.

Good luck.

ML

3. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Dude SAM

welcome it is awsome that there is another MYS person on board
    so what peice are you playing for your audition isit still that etude that you said?

glad u came over here

Tim Will

4. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Thanks

Thanks a lot, Mr. Laureano, and I'm looking forward to the audition. Transposed duets....I'll have to look back into my old "Selected Duets" book.

Tim! That's a crazy coincience. I don't think I'm using the etude, but it's still a possibility. I have the first movement of the Hummel down pretty solid, just needs a coat of polish. The only other possibility is Aria con Variazzioni by Handel, it's an awesome lyrical piece.

Talk to you later,
    Sam

5. student trumpet

student trumpet Pianissimo User

Dec 7, 2004
    Minnesota
    Sam
    you said you were playing an etude the last week of MYS i am playing the arnituian. what have you been doing over the summer have you gotten the C trumpet that you wanted?

TTFN

Tim

6. SamTheMan

SamTheMan New Friend

Jun 30, 2005
    Hey

Ah...C trumpet, I wish. I'll probably be getting one this year if the need arises (if other people in my orchestra have one.) So help me out by showing up with a C! Just kidding. Arunuturian is great, I was thinking about doing that earlier this summer, but I haven't asked my teacher. Gotta go.

SAM