mystery of mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dupac, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    When I bought my Jupiter, it was sold with a fake mouthpiece, a mere copy of Bach 7C. I replace it soon, using a genuine Bach 7C : much more better, normal. But since 3 or 4 weeks I've gradually lost high notes. Could not understand why... Today I put my old Jupiter mouthpiece back on the horn and all of a sudden I'm playing almost like Diz ! Some explanation ? Same experience maybe ?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Dupac,
    I don't know how old you are or how long that you have been playing, but it sounds like not very long - that means it is mere COINCIDENCE that one mouthpiece plays differently than the other. If you think the Jupiter works better - stick with it. You will never hear me say that the Bach is better or worse!

3. tunefultrumpet

tunefultrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2008
    New Zealand
    Dupac, I think the most likely reason you are getting different results between the two mouthpieces is that there is some physical difference between them. It could be quite hard to notice, maybe in the backbore or throat. I would agree with Rowuk in that if the Jupiter works for you I would use it, there is nothing magical about Bach mouthpieces compared to any other.

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Well, more than coincidence it should be psychology : after your kind answers, my problems with Bach mp have vanished ! Thank you so much and sorry for worrying you...

5. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Practice can do wonders...

6. R.A.S.

R.A.S. Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2004
    Woodbury, Minnesota
    FYI

Some "off-brand" copies of mouthpieces have subtle differences in rim width or rim contour (or throat size or backbore size or how straight the hole is drilled, etc.). Don't be surprised if a copy works better for you. The coincidence may be that your embouchure likes some aspect of the copy better than the original Bach.

For example, I used to play on a Benge 7C that had a more comfortable rim than any Bach I've played on. Currently I have a Blessing 7C that is similarly comfortable.

Don't be concerned about making us worry about your playing and progress. Most of us here would rather share a little information, and have you a little smarter than we were at your age.

Best wiahes!

7. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    the o.d on the shank may be different causing you to have a different gap. I don't know why but schilke mouth pieces seem to be all over the place [at least in my experience], I used to use schilke m.p. because I liked the softer rim and I would have to sort through several to find one that wiggle in my receiver. just a thought from an old guy.

8. Gary Schutza

Gary Schutza Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2007
    Kansas City
    Is it also possible that the physical act of changing the mouthpiece (perhaps taking the time to hunt for it?) simply gave you a small break? Or it the Jupiter mouthpiece always a bit better? If it's always a little better for you, go with it. It's just a mouthpiece, after all. You're the important thing, not the mouthpiece.

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hi, Dupac,

What you are using is not a "fake" mouthpiece unless it claims to be a Bach mouthpiece. It may be a copy of the standard Bach 7c, but as others have said there may be differences. Several companies make 7c mouthpieces and not all are exact copies of the specifications found in Bach. Some would admit that they do perfectly fine on their "non-Bach" 7c. I have a Blessing 7c that does a fine job as does the Bach 7c.

If the mouthpiece that came with your instrument does the job and you like it, don't worry about whether it is a Bach copy or not. Just continue to practice and enjoy your playing for music's sake.

Best wishes,

Lloyd