Mystique vs. A Standard

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, May 14, 2004.

1. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    I don't like the idea of having a 'standard' silver strad. Never appealed to me. Like we're all saying...everyone else has one. I like the way my horn plays, that's enough for me. When I let someone try it, they always seem surprised at how well it plays, and they'd be even more surprised to know how much I payed for it.
    My aunt is coming up from FL with a 1950 Bach Mercedes for me to play while she's in China. How's that for unusual :) Don't know how it plays yet though. When I get it I'll be posting about it here for sure.

Bonnie

2. ScreaminTrumpet

ScreaminTrumpet New Friend

Feb 25, 2004
    Lubbock, TX
    I think that the mystique of a horn is a very personal thing. I'm not saying that everyone should run around and play a $$$$ "boutique" horn, but I'm not saying that everyone should play a ML180-37S either. I've seen people play ratty, plating missing , bach horns that had a lot of mysique. I think character is a better word for it. Do you want to play a horn with character, or one that is the same old thing. Personally, I think a horn with stories is a cool thing. That is of course as long as those "stories" don't include massive bell crinkles.......

3. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    what, like dropping it as you're tripping over your podium???? :lol:

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    A good friend of mine is a brass repair tech and has his own shop. He hates working on "newer" horns. Everyone expects them to look like new when he is done. He has more than one crinkled bell story.

One professional I talked to felt that if a bell didn't have some dents removed, it just didn't sound right. He preferred repaired, even from a crinkle job, horns over new ones. Go figure.

Jim

5. uatrmpt

uatrmpt Piano User

Nov 29, 2003
    AL
    That's like me and Harmon mutes. To me, they just buzz better with a few dents in them.