Myth or Fact

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by SteveRicks, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    That is an old school method of dent removal. Heat is almost never used on dent work unless the bell has been totally crumpled and folded over on itself. Annealing a dent in the course of normal dent work is extremely rare because it adds much more cosmetic damage and cleanup. It also just isn't necessary.
    Annealing a dented area would only be used in the most extreme bell damage, when the brass is crumpled and may have hardened to the point where the brass will crack upon reshaping the creases. Even so, this would only be used in the case of full mechanical and cosmetic overhauls. I have never had to anneal when repairing, and the other techs I have talked to about similar things have just about never had to either.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Absolutely agree!

I can only remember one instance where I had to anneal for dent work on a very badly mashed bell bow.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I want Santa to teach me how he picks door locks without leaving tool marks. He's been coming to many homes I've lived in that had no chimneys, so by deduction my doors were the only way in. Too, somehow he evades my alarm sensors and I'd also like to know how he does this. I once was fairly good at both of these, but not as good as he has been.

4. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    #8 A Schilke 6A4a will turn you into Bill Chase.
    #9 A Bach 1X will turn you into Bud Herseth.

5. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    The brass repair tech I use, sits there with a tiny little action figure size hammer, clicking away for hours on horns..... no heat..... and his stuff always ends up looking new.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    #666 Playing ANY Asymmetric mouthpiece will make you sound Devilish!

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    you are incorrect -- Myth #777, is that playing anything other than an Asymmetric will make you sound HEAVENLY!!!!!!

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio

No KT... WE are BOTH correct as to our mutually distinctive Myth categories. The QUESTION is, which Myth is correct. At this point, I think the answer is Hit or Myth!