N+1 satisfied?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dBeav, Jun 25, 2013.

1. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    So I have the first horn I ever had. I have another horn to play whenever I want just for fun. I have my main horn that I practice with each night and now I have a "vintage" horn soon to be back from the shop and on it's way a "correct" case for it (thanks to a member of this site!).
    So I'm all set right. N+1 cured?

Right?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Depends on how crazy you are. If you feel the least amount of guilt or foolishness having horns you never play, then sure.

I had more horns that I sold because I was accumulating them (my precious!) and stopped myself before I spend THOUSANDS on restorations for horns that I would never play.... just so I could have them.

Tom

3. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Yeah but do you have your Eb, C, piccolo, flugelhorn, natural, pocket, bugle, D and F trumpet yet? Do you have another one of each in rotary form? All crafted by masters? No? Then N+1 has not been satisfied.

coolerdave likes this.
  4. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well.... could be, dbeav.

My stable of instruments had grown to ten in number a short time ago. Some of those horns did not see the light of day very often. I got to wondering about what I was doing with this trumpeting hobby. Did I want to become a collector, competent musician, or both? During this process of accumulation I ended up with several instruments that I enjoyed playing very much and musicianship won out for me. I have so much room to grow in this area of musicianship. I also observed that the more instruments I accumulated the less time I had for any single one. I ended up thinning the herd from 10 to 6, and may eventually thin it further.

The instruments are more manageable now. I can play those that remain often enough to justify my possession of them. And what of the time I had been spending shopping and pining after things I did not own? Most of it is now devoted to listening and learning more about the trumpeting craft. It has been a healthy fulfilling shift in focus for me.

Best wishes to you as you sort out your own musical priorities.

Jim

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The first step is to admit that you a problem. It looks like you're not there yet. :-)

(Just kidding, of course.)

Mike

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's a nice thought, but no!

[​IMG]

coolerdave likes this.
  7. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Eh, ignore the enablers.

Spending $1200 to restore a $400 horn is insanity when it takes food out of the mouths of your babies.

(I have no babies, so it's ok for me.)

Tom

8. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    And your cornets, sir, do not forget your cornets!

9. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    "My precious" LOL!

What do you do when you just can't part with the 'student' horns you really don't need?

How does anyone actually manage to part with a horn, even if you're way beyond it musically?

10. VetPsychWars

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    There's always a student who needs that horn more than you do.

And, like I said, if I don't play it, why have it?

Tom