N - 1: Yes, it CAN happen SOMETIMES

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by barliman2001, Mar 15, 2014.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Is N-1 possible?

Yes.

Just look at the Classifieds - I am selling my Scherzer G picc... well, I bought a Selmer G directly beforehand, so it will be a case of N=N...

2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I knew it wasn't possible. There's still no cure.

(Congrats on the new Selmer.)

Mike

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I don't understand. I have never played a Selmer G that fit in any real playing situation except perhaps Bolero with a french orchestra. The Scherzer on the other hand is so universal that it works as a C/D-trumpet alternative for Mozart, Haydn, Stravinsky, Bartok as well as the baroque era stuff.

Barliman, can you explain?

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Well, the Scherzer G worked well enough for me, until I recently had a hand injury (put my right hand through a glass door). My pinkie finger does not have the speed any more to work #4 valve on a rotary. And when the Selmer came along (with an aftermarket leadpipe), it worked perfectly (index finger of left hand on #4). And as I am not playing a G in any orchestral setting, just for solo work with string orchestra or organ, it is ok for me. But that perhaps is because the aftermarket leadpipe and my newly acquired Stork Vacchiano 4E work so very well together. In fact, by switching from the Scherzer to the Selmer I have gained slightly in upper range.
    But I am not saying that the Scherzer is not a marvellous instrument. It just does not do the job for me anymore, and that is not due to the instrument. In addition, I am doing most of my picc work on an early Selmer (even though I have a Stomvi Elite and a Votruba with #4 valve on the left hand), and the B/A picc and the G are so very similar in character that switching is easy.
    I may add that my Selmer G is a very early model, serial number dating it to 1971. I agree that the later models were a bit temperamental.

5. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I'll admit, I clicked on this thread simply because I didn't believe it was possible..

~Noah

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And it isn't! ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sorta!

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Well I am contemplating N-5 or -6 at the moment, to counter my last and next.... so +1 , -5. +1 .....???

and then there's that other one... maybe more -1s to come.

I was convinced to move some museum quality horns to allow a couple of modern gems. It is a hard decision.

I feel for Barliman.