Nachos / Jalapinos and Trumpet Playing....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JNINWI, May 20, 2013.

1. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    I played a show the other day where the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] trumpet player was a young college student. He really kept pushing for me to “Try” his horn as he wanted me to tell him what I think of it. We all know this can easily turn out not what the owner wants to hear. It was some Bach I think…not sure, and I have a “Thing” about playing someone else’s horn anyway, (it’s a hygene thing with me). But this person kept pushing. So I grabbed his horn and before I put my mouthpiece into it I asked if it was clean…….to which he answered Oh yes I always keep my horns clean….Riggghhhtttt….something just felt wrong… I was talking to him about his horn and while doing this I pulled the tuning slide and looked down the lead pipe and about hurled…I’m surprised nothing was moving…. How people play a horn in this condition is beyond me, WAY beyond me. I handed his horn back, and I think by the look on my face he knew not to ask again. Anyway I said, yeah these are nice horns and play well…..even better when they are clean…End of story….

PS, I love Jalapino's.....

2. BigSwingFace

BigSwingFace Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    I borrowed a buddy's Schilke S32 (I was looking to buy one myself) and decided to clean and polish it as a thank you. I have never before nor since witnessed sludge come out of a trumpet. I must admit I'm guilty of enjoying a few cocktails during gigs and know I have to snake out my horn frequently because of it. Whatever was in this guy's trumpet was definitely looking to colonize.

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I usually soak, snake and thoroughly clean every horn I get right from the start. Even if brand new to remove the added grease to add to preserve the slides and valves. I do admit that not too long ago, I did look into one of my mouthpieces and say a speck of debris. Whoaw!!! That turned into a decon issue with all of my horns. I'm OCD when it comes to cleaning my horns and I don't allow my kids to come within 5ft of the table where all of my parts are layed out for inspection by the numbers (military style, for those that know what I mean). My wife complains that I clean my horns to thoroughly cuz everytime I do. I bring out the surgical kit. Snake, bore brush, bore swabs, Slide and valve polish, Q-tips and the works. ROFL Like I said, OCD...:play:

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I learned about cleaning trumpets in Junior High after inhaling through my cornet and feeling a chunk of something hit the back of my throat. I just know it was green.

5. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    eeewwww!... thanks for sharing that ... wait, let me tell you about my eye surgery ... :shock:

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Interesting... In the middle school band I mentor, the band director makes surprise inspections on sections. He did the trumpet section 2 weeks ago... I was bummed when he bypassed checking out my horn (Olds Ambassador) that day... said he didn't need to because he knew it would be in great shape. He was right, as I just cleaned it 2 weeks prior to his inspection. The point is... band directors need to role model and instill this behavior in our impressionable youth. I am honored to work with this band director.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    [​IMG]

8. fredthewhale

fredthewhale Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2011
    New Jersey
    bletch ... ok. i surrender. (i can't even quote it cause i'll have to look)

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It's one thing to have slime come out of a mpc, but a mpc lent to a friend had CHUNKS come out of it. It didn't play in tune! Hmm.

10. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    There was a comic or a movie or something where the guy gauges a potential date/woman by how clean she keeps her car, citing that it directly relates to how clean she keeps other 'things'.

I think this is the same thing....gross!