Najoom

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Just curious if anyone has any experience with these parts/etc. Their leadpipes look real neat, but I wonder if they're worth the price ($200)?

Van

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Cheapest way to find out is to buy one of the Kanstul-made "French Besson" trumpets with the Najoom leadpipe. You should be able to pick one up used for around $550 to $600 these days.

3. jazzartizt1742

jazzartizt1742 New Friend

Dec 14, 2003
    Union Grove, Wisconsin
    I have a Besson with a Najoom on there, it's pretty good. I wouldn't know how it would be w/o it so there is no way to compare. Seems like its free blowing, and very lively and resonant. Even more so than the few dead bach 37's I have played.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'd concur with your experience, ja. I had a chance to try two (one French made and one Kanstul) against each other... both with the Najoom but different bell weights and finishes. They were both nice and open. The store wanted too much for them though. I think that a Kanstul-built one would be a great pickup for $used in this day and age.

If you ARE a Bach player, be prepared for the more open blow...it'll throw you until you get used to it (much like Schilke did for me until I adapted).

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    I use a Najoom leadpipe on my Yamaha (6335HS) and it is fantastic. It really opened up the instrument and allows me to achieve what I want with the instrument.
    I know players who have tried them on other instruments and have had mixed results.

As with any choice such as this, one leadpipe won't work for everybody.

6. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I have a Marvin Stamm Besson w/ a Najoom pipe, and my friend has one without the pipe, and there's defenetly a noticeable difference, for the better!

7. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Hmm, I really will have to look into this for later Frankenhorn projects (My Strad isn't satisfying me anymore).

I have had great experiences using open leadpipes on smaller bore horns, a real good combo for me. Wonder if it competes with blackburn, though....

Will update this whenever I have the funds to experiment/ship.. :dontknow:

Van

8. DaveH

DaveH Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    I have a Kanstul made French Besson Classic with the Najoom leadpipe. I can't say what the horn would be like without the Najoom, but I used to have a Bach Strad 180-37, and I'd rather play this Besson anytime. It is just a nicer, easier horn to play. And, it has a sweet, lyrical tone. I like that.

I think the leadpipe may be part of the reason why. I think it may help the ability to focus and center the tone, and the overall intonation and evenness of response in all registers.

My opinion...

9. Lionel 64

Lionel 64 New Friend

Jul 6, 2016
    Ditto that on this ancient topic.

My question, Does Najoom or Kanstul offer different choices on the leadpipe for the Kanstul aka F Besson?

Saliva has worn a small crack in the leadpipe which I've soldered a patch over. Works fine as ever. However the handwritting is on the wall. Its gonna deteriorate more over time. I'm gonna need a new leadpipe.

It's the .464 F Besson. Both a great lead trumpet and all around machine. Kanstul's webpage is

"closed for reconstruction".

If anything I'd like to go even larger in leadpipe dimension. This horn is the best lead trumpet I've ever owned. Projects without "glassiness" even on the shallowest mouthpieces. Warm & accurate in middle/ low register too. But extra volume is always a plus for endurance matters.

10. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria