Nakariakov and Shilkloper - comparing horns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ComeBackKid, Apr 13, 2011.

1. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Here is an interesting clip - not only for the music but also to consider the horns that they are playing. Does anyone recognize the horn Shilkloper is playing? A rotary post horn? A mellophone? A circular flugelhorn? (The sound is very similar between the two.)

YouTube - Sergei Nakariakov and Arkady Shilkloper

2. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Definately different, CBK. You're right though, it does have a flugle flavor to it:dontknow:

3. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Corno da caccia?

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
  6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Actually, it is more conical in spite of the trumpet type mouthpiece. It was created to help trumpet players steal baroque horn gigs. The problem is, most trumpet players still sound like trumpet players even with a flugel/corno da caccia and that makes them unsuitable for those horn parts.

Jazz could breathe new life into playing backwards.

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Robin,

As much as I hate to have an argument with you, the name of "corno di caccia" is rather vague - as you know it stands for hunting horn. Well, nobody takes a valved horn on a hunt, right? I believe that adding "valved" to you description will be useful. As for whether is a posthorn or hunting horn - I've got no clue about the difference.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sergei's horn kinda looks like one that Mnozil sometimes uses. It's pretty exotic to me, I have never seen one of these myself.

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    It looks like an absolute monster to move around on ...yikes

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nick, we are not in disagreement. The name is not mine, rather is used by several manufacturers of this beast. It is not a posthorn or hunting horn. The predecessors were called Kuhlohorns and were designed for german "Posaunenchor" use in the late 1800s. They are actually small bore rotary flugelhorns built in a rounded shape.

Ludwig G├╝ttler actually broke the ice and started to steal baroque horn gigs from his colleagues with the "Corno da Caccia" versions in the early 80's.

Johannes Kuhlo ? Wikipedia
    Kuhlohorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia