Name of National Anthem Player AL vs Mich State

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SteveRicks, Jan 1, 2016.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Anyone remember the name of the trumpet player who did the National Anthem solo before the Alabama, Michigan State game? I thought he did a great job. Even more liked was that he played it straight without all the embellishments, trills, turns, cadenzas and such that others (often singers) often impose on it to the point it almost becomes almost recognizable. Yeah, us ornery olds guys tend to prefer it straight as it seems more respectful. To me, it should be about the song and not about the performer trying to show how much the can jumble up the piece. (That's okay you young guys- you will be old one day :-)).

Anyway, they put up a label on the screen of the player saying jazz trumpet player. I immediately thought "here goes some guy that will alter the song to the point it is unrecognizable." Was I wrong. Nice and straight. My hat is off to him.

By the way, that was one of the Auburn University bald eagles they had circle the stadium. Something everyone needs to get a chance to see. I've been a foot away from that eagle when he was flapping his wings, looking around. Quite a creature.

2. gwood66

gwood66 Piano User

Dec 21, 2015
    South of Chicago
    Freddie Jones

3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I saw that, too. I thought "what a nice, traditional rendition of the national anthem." I also saw the eagle, and told my wife I didn't know we were playing Auburn...ha ha