Name that trumpet .. or is a cornet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, Jun 19, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Name that Trumpet/Cornet by coolerdave on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

okay here's the deal .. I have recorded a passage using either a Bach 37, a Getzen 300, a Bach CR300 (cornet), or a Yamaha 2320
    I used a GR66MX for the trumpets and a Bach 3C for the cornet ... I was going to use my Bach 2 3/4C for the trumpets but I am having one of those says when your chops are a little tight.. so there are some snorks in there and the interpretation could be better but I said I would post this today... so here it is.
    I will post the order in my user profile.
    let me know how you did

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    no comments... not even "boy that f was sharp" ?????

3. CaptainAddy

CaptainAddy Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2010
    Camden County, GA
    Third one was the cornet, definitely. 1st I'm gonna say was the Yammie, then the Getzen, then the cornet, then the Bach. I preferred the interpretation of the second one much better than all the others. The fourth was nice as well, just too big of a crescendo for my liking. Overall, GREAT job Dave! It takes a lot of guts to post recordings here, flubs and all.

My order of preference, sound wise:

3rd, 4th, 1st, 2nd

coolerdave likes this.
  4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Dave,

Bet you have stumped me on this one. Like Captain Andy I think the Yammie was first -seemed a little more open sounding and bright (though depending on the mic it might be the Strad). TheneZen (which I don't know what they sound like but am using the process of elimination to guess it), third was the cornet, and 4th was the strad. Of course, if I am correct that means I am highly gifted, if I am wrong then it was poor mic placement. :)

coolerdave likes this.
  5. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    4th time was the Strad. 1st time was second best horn. We're talking a pro horn versus 3 student horns. Flip a coin for the rest.

coolerdave likes this.
  6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yeah, the mic placement, type of mic, and just not being in the room really make it a little rough.. oh yeah not to mention not having a pro on the mp .. there's 2 mikes being used.. an SM57 about 12" from the bell (has the reverb on it) .. and a Roland about 3' away which is recorded dry
    :dontknow:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I'm guessing Yamaha, Bach cornet, Getzen, and Bach 37.

coolerdave likes this.
  8. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    I give up. The fourth one sounded the "brassiest" to me. The third one sounded the stuffiest (is that even a word?).

coolerdave likes this.
  9. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    1st one Bach 37
    2nd one Getzen
    3rd one Cornet
    4th one 2320

That was a painfully slow tempo!

coolerdave likes this.
  10. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    1st Yamaha
    2nd Getzen
    3rd Cornet
    4th Bach 37

It would be good to have the trumpets together, and cornet at either end for a better comparison...Hey you may have done that too....
    Good Post, Good fun.

coolerdave likes this.