Name these guys …

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rettepnoj, Sep 27, 2015.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    Front right Charlie Shavers 95% certain

Front left Art Farmer??? (just guessing now)

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    This is kind of an interesting thread. These guys were the who's who of their time, but now? No one really knows who any but the most famous of them were. Fame is fleeting.

3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    So am I, thanks.

I would be very surprised if that's Art.

Fun, isn't it? I could swear that if asked this same question 40 years ago, I would get many more of them. Ah, 40 years. But alas . . .

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    It's a great photo, I seriously went to sleep dreaming of this, trying to pick "Who's Who". The more I looked, the more I started to see people who were not there....:D

Great Photo & great idea for a thread.

5. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    I admit it I used the Googler, but:

"Looks like a dream, but it really happened in the summer of 1961 in Central Park, New York. For this photo session, twenty-two trumpet players from different generations have appeared in front of Herb Snitzer's camera.

From back left to right, the trumpet players are: Johnny Letman, Doc Severinsen, Max Kamisnky, Ted Curson (standing), moving to the next row, Ernie Royal is looking at the left, Booker Little, Joe Thomas, Yank Lawson is sitting next to Clark Terry behind the table. Again, starting from left, Don Ferrera, Nick Travis (with glasses), Bobby Bradford, and on the far right Jimmy Nottingham (sitting near CT). The next row: the very dark gentleman gazing at some out-of-frame point is Herman Autrey. Then moving to right we have Joe Newman, Dizzy Reece, Freddie Hubbard and Henry "Red" Allen, all sitting tight next to each other. And finally the front row giants are Buck Clayton, Roy Eldridge fooling with Dizzy Gillespie and the beautiful Charlie Shavers."

Take The "A" Train: 22 Trumpet Players!

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Uh . . . googling doesn't count and it takes the fun out of it. ;-)

7. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    My apologies. The suspense was to much for me.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    At least you get to sleep - but they left Buddy DeFranco off the listing...ROFL

Don Ferrera is a look-alike
    Bing Images

9. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Fame is certainly a fickle mistress. I'd only actually heard of a handful of these guys prior to this thread, although I think it's relevant to point out that both of my parents were in elementary school when that photo was taken.

Of the guys there, the one I'm most familiar with is Freddie Hubbard. I've got a couple of albums with him - really like him with Herbie Hancock.

Very interesting thread and photo, by the way. Thanks for posting, Jon.