Name this Al Hirt tune!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ProAnnouncer, Jul 30, 2008.

1. ProAnnouncer

ProAnnouncer New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    Hello to all of you;

I am trying to find the name of a song that Al Hirt played at the first AFL-NFL Championship Game, commonly referred to as the first Super Bowl, back in January, 1967. I have a few chords of it on a DVD and could post the riff here or email it.

It was a very rapid fanfare type of song but I don't know its name; it went something like this: "Brap-brap-brap-BRAP-brababrabrabraBRAbrabrabra, dunt-dunt-dunt-DUNT-dadaduhdadadada."

OK, keep laughing! I am no muscian but I believe that you as a trumpet pro could probably help me figure out what this song is so that I can seek it out further on the Internet or buy the album or CD that it's on.

THANK YOU so very much for your help.
    Take care.
    --Dennis in Milwaukee, Wisconsin

2. MaynardTrumpet

MaynardTrumpet Pianissimo User

May 25, 2008
  3. ProAnnouncer

ProAnnouncer New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    Sorry -- it's not the Green Hornet Theme (aka Flight of the Bumblebee); I am wondering whether it might be "Fanfare for Radio City" or perhaps "Battle of the Horns" -- thanks for trying though.

4. ProAnnouncer

ProAnnouncer New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    I would parse The Green Hornet (Flight of the Bumblebee) as: Dah-da-Da-DAH--dah-daah-Da-DAH!

5. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Why not type in the first superbowl into wikipedia? It might mention it in one of the sub categories or something. Or try typing it in on google.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I think that after trying to read your first post and then this being your version of "The Green Hornet", we are going to have an impossible task.

-cw-

7. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    The thing I could find is a google on the U of Arizona band which played at that game and the article said they played Dixie tunes with Al Hirt for the South. Wikipedia said he appeared at 5 superbowl games.Can't find a reference to the specific songs he played then anywhere.

Doesn't say what Al Hirt played.

8. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I had a look too and i couldnt find it either. I guess its going to be a difficult thing to find out....

:play:

9. Newguy

Newguy Pianissimo User

Mar 30, 2008
    Pittsburgh Area
    Are you possibly trying to come out with "Java" -- that might fit what you seem to be trying to describe? :dontknow:

What do I win??:lol:

10. ProAnnouncer

ProAnnouncer New Friend

Jul 30, 2008
    Thank you for suggesting a search at WikiPedia, Google, etc.

I've already exhausted all of the options known to man and that's how I ended up here on Trumpet Master.

That was very nice of you to try and help me figure it out.

The aforementioned Flight Of The Bumblebee is well known also as the theme from The Green Hornet televisio show and was previously popularized by Ray Anthony And His Orchestra. Co-incidentally, one of my cousins, Geri Petchel, was one of the singing and dancing girls who performed with Ray Anthony for years in Las Vegas and on world tour.

Again, I have a NFL Films DVD of the Packers-Chiefs first AFL-NFL Championship Game and Al Hirt is playing the song on that DVD in a short segment, but no one I know can figure out what that song is titled, including my mother who has always loved Al Hirt.

I will continue the quest and if I ever find out, I bet it will be here on Trumpet Master. I'll let you know my friend.

Thanks again sir, take care.
    --ProAnnouncer