Names to Watch?

Discussion in 'EC Downloading' started by ecarroll, Sep 4, 2005.

1. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    The road beckons, but before leaving I thought that I'd throw out eight names in the trumpet firmament for you to watch/listen for this new season. Some are well known and some aren't, but all are absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, and I'm happy to tell you why. . .

(in alphabetical order)

Marco Blaauw
    Gabriele Cassone
    Jouko Harjanne
    Mathias Höfs
    Mark O'Keefe
    Jason Price
    Dan Rosenboom
    Giuliano Sommerhalder

Are they know to you? If so, do tell.

Best,
    EC

2. chrisvenditti

chrisvenditti New Friend

Aug 17, 2005
    Names

Alright, I think I did decently well on your test. I have heard Cassone, and Harjanne on CD. I went to school with Price, and Rosenboom. Lastly, I have played with Sommerhalder in an orchestra. I don't know Blaauw or Hofs. Can you tell me more about them! Thanks!

Cheers,
    Chris

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Sommerhalder is a beast. I heard him when he was a camper and I was on staff at Interlochen and he made me want to (a) go practice and (b) throw my horn in the lake. (Chris, you went to school with Katie, right? I met her the year I heard Sommerhalder, so that must have been the year you were there too). I heard somewhere that he recieved a prize in the Maurice Andre competition. Anyways, I'll keep my eye out for the rest.
    -Jimi

4. chrisvenditti

chrisvenditti New Friend

Aug 17, 2005
    Sommerhalder

Jimi,
    Yes, I was at Interlochen that summer. I had the opportunity to sit next to him in the orchestra all summer. That was a learning experience. He taught me a good bit about music, and the trumpet. You can get all the info at his website about competitions he has won. There are so many, I can't remember it all.... But, he did tie for second in the Maurice Andre competition. There was no first prize awarded that year.

Chris

5. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Matthias Höfs is an unbelievable picc player - German Brass baby!

Can't say I recognise any of those other names though.

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Is this the same Mark O'Keefe that I know, currently with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra and The Golden Section ?

If so, crackin' player.. had lessons from him for about two and a half years or so when we both lived in Ireland (he was with the NSO of Ireland then)
    Have met him a few times when he's visited London for performances with John Wallace & with the BBCSSO and when I've been go Glasgow.

Thoroughly nice chap too..

7. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    David,

I've just arrived in Los Angeles (hotter than the sun) and wanted to check and see how this thread is doing. . . and you got it in one, mate.

Mark won a Creative Scotland Award for his project called "Apocalypse", a very brilliant an exciting piece of performance art for solo trumpet, electronics, projections, etc. , and I trust that it's getting many performances these days. An absolutely brilliant player, looking ahead.

I'll ghost for a day or two more and give others a chance to add their comments.

Cheers,
    EC

8. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    I know Jason Price very well. He and I studied with the same teacher back in the 90's..haha, that seems weird to say.

He was a monster player then, and I can only imagine what Thompson did with him at Eastman. wow

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Pianissimo User

Cool! I do remember Mark talking about that. I first met him when he was guest soloist playing the Arutiunian concerto in 1992 when I was still with the National Youth Orchestra of Ireland. We played in 3 venues where Mark gave 3 stunning performances!!
    He was RTE (Irish National Television) Young Musician of the Future then!

10. gus

gus Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Giulano Sommerhalder is the son of Max Sommerhalder the chair of Trumpet in Detmold Germany and a very respected teacher. He was second to David Guerrier in a Contest ( ARD or some German Competition) a truly beast.

Matthias Höfs, he plays with the German Brass, a good soloist. Not only picc, but a beast with the Bb.-

Jourko Harjanne. Watch out Finnish Trumpet Concerts CD a beast¡¡¡.

Marko Blauw (sp) he plays quite a lot with M. Stockhausen, he is a champion of contemporary music, he has a trumpet with 2 bells, that play multiphonics, quarter tones and all that stuff.

Gabriele Cassone a modern and natural trumpet beast.

That's the ones I've heard.

Gus

Gus