Naming of the High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Mohan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Mozart's Trompete in D (Key of D Major) is a very nice piece for picc. I find in easier to play with the picc pitched in Bb rather than one pitched in A, but I suppose that is just me. Many classical composers wrote in D Major, especially for violin.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Yep, know many public school Bb trumpeters who call the third line "second valve" and if flated "first valve" and that is about the limit of their musical knowledge. They know the notes only by valve settings and somehow it works, but I still say such is the failure of their instructor/director. Pretty much don't expect them to pursue music education in college

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    And that is because notes in the Bass clef are always written as if for a C instrument vis GABCDEFGA, alternating line and space. Bingo, after the top line of the bass clef, in the space its a B, and that is followed by the Middle C.

First, many instruments as play in the treble clef are pitched in C, still music pre-transposed for any instrument is set the same way.

However Bassers, your notes are set two semi-tones lower than they would appear in the treble clef. Now wait until you hit some music where the clef changes to treble clef, as is not that uncommon, and you may be in trouble.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I'm fully with VB on this -- and agree it can be a little clumsy to articulate but avoids much confusion. When I was a kid in band we said "Top C" for the 1st C above the staff, which I don't think I've heard since.

--bumblebee

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've heard it a lot, and above the "Top C" is the Double Top C aka that elusive DHC that most pursue with a common Bb trumpet, but a "piece of cake" with a Bb picc. Back to square one, is it a C or a D? The answer is that in concert key it is only a Bb.

6. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hi Ed,

I think the distinction you are making between the note read off the page and the note heard by the ear is a different topic, though of course one which people still need to be mindful of when talking to musical directors, or players of instruments which aren't Bb (assuming you are coming from the Bb trumpet viewpoint).

I don't think anybody looks at a written note and calls it something other than what other musicians would call it. I read second line G in the treble clef as "G" and so does a piano player and a Eb tenor horn player. When we play the note together our "concert pitch" musical director would say we are playing different notes, but we'd all say "G". I've only ever heard "double high C" or DHC used in a trumpeter context, but even so am not sure I understand what the person saying that means unless he or she says "second C above the staff", and possibly explains whether that is meant in "concert pitch/C trumpet" terms or Bb trumpet terms.

--bumblebee

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    I think ED Lee is right, if the Directors or Teachers are not properly teaching all aspects of this wonderful art, it possibly could just create ignorance that spreads like disease in my opinion...hmmm, could have started already.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I learned both naming systems when young. If you can't play it well, it doesn't matter what you call it!! It does make it sound impressive if one can play a high G (or is it double high?) and and old schooler says nice double G!! YEAH!!!!! :woop::woop::woop::woop::woop:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Most scores are/were written to be copied or engraved by hand. The c above the staff is notated as such in the scores although really a Bb, and conductors can talk to us in our own stupid language.

10. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    When I miss them, their names are usually 4 letters long....