Naming of the High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Mohan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Euphonium, but I came on here when I was trying to learn trumpet, also my son is a trumpet player so I have come here for help in helping him. I still think the whole transposing instrumets thing is a mess.

2. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
  3. Flugelman_dkb

Flugelman_dkb New Friend

Aug 25, 2010
    Columbus, Georgia
    F and G above the staff are not High F and high G. Just F above the staff and G above the staff. The next up are high. IMHO.

4. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    But don't euphonium players talk in terms of "high Bb," "middle Bb," "low Bb," and "pedal Bb"? And aren't those descriptions an octave lower than the trumpet players' "high C," "middle C," etc? And don't BBb tuba players talk about a "high Bb" that's an octave lower than your "high Bb"?

To others in this thread: talk about a Universal Note-Naming Convention all you want, but we live in a world where every group of like instrumentalists probably has a naming convention specific to their instrument.

5. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010

Whenever I get confused about where the trumpets key is relative to the C clef that I know, I think to myself, my C is higher than the rest of the trumpets. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling:oops:.

6. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    This is nice and unambiguous - as is a reference to high C or DHC amongst trumpet players. It's just that I can never remember whether a (say) G5 refers to the octave above or below C5. :-)
    Hope this hasn't vectored the thread back to square one.

I feel for my brothers and sisters who grew up in the brass band (treble clef) world who now have to transpose. There's something wonderful about a piece of printed music going from a dot on the page to a musical noise without any calculation. All of your mental energy can then be used on intonation, tone, balance etc. I guess that players of transposing instruments have automated the added step but my tiny mind hasn't internalised the process. Playing trom in a concert band does my head in!

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That's fine, but what do the majority of people call those notes?

I learned those as high F and high G in contrast to the notes near the bottom of the staff.

By the way, good for you if you can play above high C. Many of us don't care. :-)

Tom

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Here is THE rule that gets me confused every day on the trumpet: i before e except after c. My only problem is I am having one heck of a time finding that i note.

By the way, if anyone would like to send me a basic "c-note", PM me for my bank address, and I will arrange for a direct deposit into my account.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Does your bank accept Wav. or Mp3?

Regards, Stuart.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If pretty enough, perhaps with interest!;-)