Naming of the High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John Mohan, Feb 14, 2013.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    If you'll pm me your account number and bank routing number I'll get that c-note sent out right away.ROFL

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Include your PIN number too.

3. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    I'm hearing lots of people talking about high notes on here and who cares what they call it. What really matters is who can perform them.

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'm not even sure that really matters. What I see really matters is that people play well in the range they own. This is why as a junior high and high school student, I always received the highest ratings (all 1s) in OSMA competitions. I chose tunes (OK I'll give credit to Eugene Blee - my teacher at that time) that I knew were in a workable range. So that is 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th grades or 6 blue ribbons from the OSMA.

Again, my recommendation... first play well in the range that you have, and once you achieved that try moving to the next note in your range... a half step at a time: whether it's the C/D; E/F; or EIEIO.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    (By the way... EIEIO is my PIN number VB)

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Isn't "EIEIO" the opening of the music for "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly?"

7. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Or 'Old MacDonald had a Farm'? :D

8. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
  9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  10. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Actually, Euphonium people will sometimes refer to c4, etc. I just don't find the whole "high C," "Double High C" thing very helpful. Maybe that's just me. Regardless it seems from this thread and others that we're still struggling for a note naming convention that is understood by everyone. I humbly offered the "scientific pitch notation" as a an option that would be clear.

Just as a newcomer if the first C is middle C it would seem to make sense that the next one would be High C. On the Other Hand it might make more sense to say that the first C is Low C, the one in the staff middle C and so on, but the problem there is that the whole music world calls that C between the staffs, middle C. It's always going to be confusing. The scientific pitch notation would avoid all that. Added Bonus: many electronic tuners use it.