Narrowed search to 8310Z laquer or silver...now what

Discussion in 'Horns' started by 68 Flair, Sep 17, 2005.

1. 68 Flair

68 Flair New Friend

Aug 12, 2005
    After trying a number of new horns I have decided that i will be going with
    the newn Yammi 8310Z. The only problem is that after a good couple ours of testing the laquer and silver finishes I can't decide which to go with. From a performance stand point they both seem almost identical. There is now way around it the silver is brighter in sound, the laquer a little darker. Just wondering if there are any 8310Z players out there, and what there experiences might have been. I'm leaning towards the sound of the laquer at this point. I don't have any experience with heavy caps and am wondering if I could darken the sound of the silver with heavy caps and or differnt mouthpiece. Either way both horns are beautiful to play.

68 Flair.........and soon to be 8310Z

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I preferred the blow of the lacquer version. But I guess it's just personal preference.

One thing to keep in mind...the lacquer can always be stripped. Then you'll have a horn that plays almost identically to the silver. Besides, lacquer is cheaper. :D

3. 68 Flair

68 Flair New Friend

Aug 12, 2005
    Actually went back yesterday with a friend and tried them both again and it looks like it will be the lacquer model. Thanks for your opinion.