Nasty sound has me worried

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by timleona, Feb 19, 2008.

1. timleona

timleona New Friend

Jan 9, 2008
    I've been back playing trumpet for about a month and a half now after a 40 year break. I've been playing trombone for about 2 years. I notice in the last few days that although my range is increasing, my sound quickly turns to something like it would sound playing through a radio with bad reception. Like a secondary almost rattle from my lips. I'm hitting the notes but they aren't clean. As an aside, I don't get this sound on the trombone.

I'm trying to spend time just buzzing through the mpc listening for a clean sound but are there any other things I should do to lose this nasty secondary sound?

Thanks much!!

Tim

2. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

As you go up in range? I have that too - I think it's called Beginneritus!

3. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    I remeber experiencing a growling kind of sound from a friend of mine years ago, while he was developing upper register. He was working one of the early Jerome Callet studies. Don't remember which one. As he continued on the growl disappeared, yet he was able to bring it back on demand later. He could accually control it. It was really bluesy sounding. Very Cool. The upper register went to a strong, fat Double C. Not bad for a high school player back in '69.

Possibly you need a mouthpiece adjustment.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Tim-

Are you continuing to play trombone while you pick up the trumpet? I'm not sure of the mechanics, but I doubled on baritone for a semester in high school and I remember thinking, "man, this is NOT good for the trumpet chops." I think in general, the more things you ask your lips to do, the greater chance you have of something weird happening.

-Jimi

5. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    I was at a Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday Celebration on Hollywood Beach Florida a few weeks back. I saw a band there called Trombone Shorty and Orleans Avenue. Trombone Shorty doubles on Trumpet Regular High Gs Fourth line above staff. And on one of the last tunes he goes from Pedal C to Double high C. This cat plays decent T-Bone Too. Great entertainer, Fun to watch.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Tim,
    it sounds like you are getting a double buzz - your upper and lower lips are not vibrating in sync. More practice is the solution. Play relaxed in the midrange (real tunes like in a hymnbook are excellent for this) and focus on tone. It will come, I promise! You just need some more time and freedom from brute force.

Playing the trombone will not hurt your chops, just practice the trumpet FIRST. Buzzing with the mouthpiece then long tones with the trumpet for at least 5 minutes each are very helpful. Then some tunes, then lip slurs. If you have time left then technical studies. ALWAYS PRACTICE TUNES AND REPERTORY WHEN YOUR CHOPS ARE FRESH! MUSIC IS THE REASON THAT WE PLAY TRUMPET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1/3 OF YOUR PRACTICE TIME SHOULD BE TUNES!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2008
  7. timleona

timleona New Friend

Jan 9, 2008
    Thanks guys! I was hoping I wouldn't have to stop playing or something like that. Mouthpiece wise I have a 7C, 3C, 1-1/2C, and 1. I haven't noticed a great deal of difference between them and the nasty sound. I'll concentrate on mouthpiece buzzing and try not to force things. I'll try some songs that stay lower in the range too.

Tim

8. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    Probably would be a good idea to not switch among those mouthpieces too much at first. Just pick one that feels right and stick with it for a while.

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Double buzz, yeah, that's what I call it.

"Come on, get on, the double buzz bus!!" LOL it's very annoying.

10. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California

I never thought to practice music first.... I will start with that.