National Anthem 49ers/Panthers playoff game

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Jan 12, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, it wasn't my favorite rendition, BUT, he didn't forget the words!!! Waaaaay better to have a trumpet player than any Lady Gaga wannabe! This link is a better one sound wise.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YHJVQ3XcYpM&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYHJVQ3XcYpM%26feature%3Dyoutu.be
    I don't care for slowed down versions of the National Anthem. It's not about the one performing and a showcase for them. Its about the men and women past and present being remembered for their service and sacrifice so we can live in a free society. It was okay but I personally sensed no passion in his playing.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Does anyone have a link or a clip of Tommy Loy playing the SSB at a Dallas Cowboys game?

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Beats any singer in my opinion and this arrangement is what the promoters ask for. He would play it in the traditional register when asked, but the teams and fans love it this way.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't mind it taken up at the end but all the flips, vibrato, and syncopation scream "look at me". It's NEVER about the performer.

6. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    While I see VB's point, I agree that it takes a LOT of confidence to play THAT piece in front of that many people. The vast majority of trumpet players could not play that arrangement in front of that many people while calming their nerves. While we're on the subject, allow me.... I know it's not a single trumpet, but I really like this a capella version by the Gaither Vocal Band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF8pFyO0c5g

Having played (and sung) the SSB for numerous events I appreciate anybody willing to take a chance with altering the military band version.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    It looks like chewing gum is part of the package.

8. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Both posted versions were WAY better than the vocal at the Rose Bowl game. They bring these singers in and go all "Artistic" and screw up the tune. I've only done it solo once for a dedication of Doctor's new offices in a remodeled National Guard Armory. Kept it straight, didn't try to get fancy. Still played on my nerves some though. First time I ever had to play the center section ala the melody. Most times I'm doing it with a band and most around here use the Bill Moffit arrangement with the trumpet filigrees in the center section. My favorite "altered" version is the one Manny and Lynn did at a Twins ballgame a few years back.I've lost the Youtube link to that one when the main drive on this machine gave up the ghost:oops:

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    The larger the crowd the greater the energy. I play it better in front of larger crowds. Would love to play a big event like this some day.

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    Peter McNeill likes this.