National Anthem 49ers/Panthers playoff game

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shooter, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I concur, but Francis Scott Key wrote 4. Too, IMO over 90% of U.S. Citizens, especially those native born, don't know who composed the music. Also, I've heard Christian clergy mess up the Lord's Prayer.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    It was more of a statement - that DOD sets instrumental protocol - then surely it must allow more than 1 vocal verse since there is more than 1 - but YES WE AGREE - I wouldn't want anymore than 1 verse either - just everybody has their "idea" of how it should beplayed

3. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The Onion has fun with additional verses of The National Anthem, but it's probably best not to post the link here.

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The 64 dollar question as asked by many is did Francis Scott Key write the Star Spangled Banner, and the precise answer is that he did NOT. He titled his 1812 poem In Defence of Fort McHenry and I've included his misspelling of "Defense". Then it was later set to the British 1778 tune of To Anacreon In Heaven composed by John Stafford Smith. Thereby, when we look at the enactment as our National Anthem by Congress in 1931 we are back to just one verse and notice the official title change to the Star Spangled Banner. Thereby, the condensed version to just one verse is not that by DOD, but by Congress.

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Our non-US English speaking friends may correct me, but isn't the King's English spelling of the American "defense", "defence"?

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    WOW... I cannot believe I am actually going to correct our Mr. Ed Lee. A first for me here on TM. Correcting Mr. Correctness. No doubt, but here goes.

Ahhhhmmmm. Mr. Ed, Francis Scott Key only wrote the words. The composition of the actual music, came from an English Pub tune.

Yep... Just got to correct Mr. Ed.... The Edster... The Edinator.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    You mean the King and I had the same spelling teacher?:dontknow:

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Hmmm, I thought that is what Ed said, that Francis Scott Key wrote the words and John Stafford Smith the tune.

Maybe I need some new meds....

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    DOD or Congress - if you ask me (which nobody did) - I say play it or sing it the best way you know how