National Anthem performance by one of the "worlds best trumpeters"

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tatakata, Feb 8, 2008.

1. TopGun

TopGun Pianissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    And I bet you got a kid to show for it now.

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    If you check out this guy's other videos on YouTube, some of them are pretty good. I wouldn't want to hear him play the Hindemith, but he does what he does really well.

-Jimi

MJ likes this.
  3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    :lol:

4. burgerbob

burgerbob New Friend

Nov 26, 2007
    Douglas, WY
    I swear, this happens to me EVERY TIME i play trumpet in public.

5. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    Wore the shirt twice.

And I have 2 children. Don't even ask about the parachute pants and patent leather platform shoes.......

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The people that book soloists for games know what they are getting into. You don't call this guy to get a Sousa arrangement of the national anthem. If the blondes are part of the show, why not - they come with the package. This is the statement that the agency that booked him wants to make. He just delivered the goods. I have no problem with that. Would you guys prefer a CD instead of a live musician? not me!
    That style would probably be not a suitable for Buglers across America though!

7. jonalan

jonalan New Friend

Jan 25, 2006
    Missouri
    I'm not going to base my opinion of the guy on one performance, and this is the only time I have heard this guy play, but I can't imagine going out of my way to hear him again.

His tone is bright, bright, bright, and the vibrato is quite annoying (to me). This particular performance was quite sloppy as well.

Having said all that, music is all about personal preference, and I'm guessing there are a lot of people who like this guy,or he wouldn't be popular enough to play at a sports venue. Just not for me.

"Worlds best" - hardly.

8. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

"obnoquious"

That, right there, is genius. That makes this whole thread worthwhile. Is that copyrighted? Dammit, I'm using it.

9. MGTrumpet

MGTrumpet New Friend

Nov 18, 2004
    Maple Grove, MN
    Hmmm. Not necessarily what I would want to hear on a regular basis as the "Star Spangled Banner", but it works.

And, SO IS HE! Isn't that what is important?

If you want to make a living in music, it might take every idea you can come up with to be recognized as different. You've got to give him credit for taking chances.

I agree with Jimi Michael - his website looks good and some of the music is pretty good.

Maybe if you want a symphony gig, a couple of large-chested blonds in your publicity photo might help. Most trumpet players (at least the guys) I've known will certainly take a second look at a photo like that. You never know, it might become the wave of the future. Well - maybe not, but it's an idea!

And, if he wants to call himself one of "the world's best trumpeters", he will have to be the one to prove it to anyone that listens or is considering him for a job.

Besides, it might make some youngster more inclined to take up the trumpet - and that can't be all bad.

There are a lot of people that have inflated ideas about themselves, but one of the things I like best about the trumpet is that, when you put the horn to your lips, all the b.s. is done.

10. Trumpet Trooper

Trumpet Trooper New Friend

Dec 16, 2007
    Texas
    There is something to be said for showmanship, too. Craft aside, he has a good sound and people come to hear him play.

Just listened to a couple of his tunes in itunes and he's not bad.

Don't know I'd call him one of the greatest trumpet players, but I'm not playing at professional baseball games either.

Keep playing guys.........louder, faster, higher.:cool: