National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 5, 2010.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
  2. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Nicely done! You should listen to Eric Miyashiro do this tune. He has 2 versions, both very, very nice. They are on his "City of Brass" & "Kick-Up" CD's. Both very jazzy renditions with a heavy Bill Chase (cascading trumpets) influence.
    Again, Nice Job!

xjb0906 likes this.
  3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Very nice! Excellent air use, nice full sound. I can't tell if it's the mic but I heard a lot of pop on your attacks. Sometimes a mic will over emphasize the attack when you're close to it. If it's not caused by the mic than you may be tonguing too hard

xjb0906 likes this.
  4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Bob,

I don't think it sounds like that coming out of the horn. I may just need to lighten my attack or stand further back when playing into a mic. I noticed it when I was playing and tried taking a couple of steps back. I could hear what sounded like a spring being uncoiled on my attacks. Thanks for the feedback.

5. abtrumpet

abtrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2009
    Very nice! I really like the Arturo Sandoval, Jesse McGuire, and Adam Rapa versions of this.

As for the attacks, try using "breathe-da". It is what its name suggests, breathe and say da on your first note.

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Excellent! An inspiration.

xjb0906 likes this.
  7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Jimmy,

Even from the perspective of a non US citizen, I find that a magnificent tune and a moving rendering on your part - I wish I had the balls to play the Aussie National Anthem - Advance Australia Fair as a solo public performance like you have.

Nice, and well done. :thumbsup:

(Pity the Mascot couldn't be bothered to come to attention during your presentation though).

xjb0906 likes this.
  8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    It did sound more like the pop was coming from the mic but it was hard to tell.

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    That was beautiful. Great tone and wonderful expression. A clean rendition is as good as any "jazzed-up" version in my mind.

Best Wishes,

DK

xjb0906 likes this.
  10. lakerjazz

lakerjazz Mezzo Piano User

Oct 10, 2006
    That's more than amazing! That's a great performance regardless of the circumstances, but after dropping the horn for 12 years and coming back with only 18 months- even more impressive. WOW