National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 5, 2010.

1. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

Thanks to all for your kind words. I sent this video to the Carolina Panthers, Charlotte Checkers, and the Bobcats. Looks like I am in for the Checkers. The Bobcats have sent the video to the game day operations for review. The Panthers say that the National Anthem is to only be performed by vocalists at their games. They are keeping the video on file for two years and will consider using me in the event that this policy changes.

The Knights actually had requests from fans to have me back after my first performance. Seems folks like hearing something different once in a while.

Oh well more practice . Sometimes you just have to keep knocking until the door opens.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Playing in a stadium where your audio is pumped through obsolete public address systems puts a player at unease ... often with an out of phased feedback ... an audio delay.

The Star Spangeled Banner is NOT the national anthem if it is played with any variance from that set in law by the U.S. Congress.

xjb0906 likes this.
  3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Ed,

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Nice job. It sounds like the mic just did not handle trumpet very well. I hear kind of whistle going parallel to the trumpet, that is most likely equipment related. It still obvious youy're playing with a nice full sound. Well done.

xjb0906 likes this.
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I'm saying I very much liked the way this performance of the National Anthem was and don't like changes. Otherwise, with plenty of performance time in stadiums and other outdoor events, I found the audio in most to really require some serious upgrading. When microphones squeal and every high note produces an audio "accompaniment" one realizes the serious problem ... but what does administration say ... "works fine to announce the game". Duh!

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Phil,

Duh! The only microphones in most stadiums are manufactured for VOICE response NOT FOR INSTRUMENTAL USE and any audio engineer who doesn't know this isn't worth being paid a Lincoln penny.

Too, this is a major reason why vocalists enjoy the limelight of such performances.

Ed

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Phil,
    Ed,

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe I can purchase a mic that clips to the bell of my horn that will work with the sound systems at the stadium. Will have to check it out.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Frankly, I believe you are "up a creek" on connectivity of your microphone to existing stadium audio. First, they wouldn't allow it, and second there is no auxilary mic input on their console. Due take notice that mostly the phonograph and tape players are all monaural ! Duh! A complete stadium audio makeover would cost near a million dollars ... as wired for surround sound. Note how the prime performers install their own audio equipment on stage and mostly remote the mics and additional speakers. You're not staging a solo concert with the single of SSB.

To every veteran or active military personnel I meet, I've given my CD of my performance playing all parts on multiple brass instruments that includes the Star Spangeled Banner, their service hymn and their service march (if they have them) and the national march The Stars and Stripes. Forever! The last song I render on this CD is TAPS

If you want to hear my rendition of any of these, e-mail me and request such at:

[email protected]

I will reply with attachment in MP3 format.

Ed Lee

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Ed,

I am sure you are correct about connecting to the stadium audio. I don't know much about amplification of sound . As a trumpet player that has never been issue for me before. I was just hoping to find a solution that will provide the best quality sound when performing our National Anthem.

I would love to hear your recordings. I am sending the email now.

Thanks,

Jimmy

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks.

Practice = courage. Do the work at home and the performance is the fun part.