National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It is my personal opinion that Advance Australia Fair, the Australian National Anthem does not lend itself well to solo trumpet performance just as it would not to a solitary and unaccompanied voice. Too, I don't think it would sit well with children's voices. Yes, I have Advance Australia Fair in my personal brass repertoire.

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
  3. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC

Ed,

I agree. It would be hard to pull off a solo performance of Advance Australia Fair.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yes Ed, that's probably why I tend to struggle with it a bit and the 3 bar trumpet rest in the middle works with orchestration but not as a solo.
    Childrens voices don't seem to handle the accidentals well and often sound off key to me. A solo, by Julie Anthony (there's a 12 sec clip on Youtube) works beatifully as a "voice solo" (but it is fully orchestrated).

5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    XJB,
    I think that is great that you are out in front of the crowds with great sound,

and ED LEE SAID WHAT? """The Star Spangeled Banner is NOT the national anthem if it is played with any variance from that set in law by the U.S. Congress."""
    ignore those people!!
    Did Arturo get a boo with his rendition of The Star Spangled Banner???? ---- I think not.

I am 21 months into a comeback after a 7 yr hiatus -- so XJB keep practicing. I plan on playing The Arturo version at a benefit/variety show in January --- if it comes off OK we will YOUTUBE it. (I'm logging about 3 hrs a day practice time-- and look to be on track to pull that off cleanly -- although I might be a little softer -- but I will be in a small venue -- so it should be ok.) hey I got 4 months -- and can softly play it now, but not consistently or maybe confidently -- yet.
    Dude - you sound great (stadium or not) -- keep it going.
    ps. I always sat 2nd or 3rd chair in school -- so it is not just about talent -- so much as it is practice, technique, light pressure, long tones, and practice -- you obviously know the drill - you will get there -

6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I think Arturo's version is great. He actually plays it pretty straightforward but brings up the excitement level with the upper register playing. I don't really care for arrangements that are too busy or jazzed up. There is a fine line between what is nice and going too far in my opinion.
    My upper register is nothing like his. It isn't even what it was back in school. I am concentrating more on music and technique these days while doing some range studies . For the most part I am letting the upper register develop on it's own. I am too early in the game to really try and force things to happen. I think that is where many of us go wrong. Myself included. But man to be able to wail like that. I would get up and thank God every day for that. The highest note I have been asked to play at the community band is a d above high c at the end of The Universal Judgement.

I just practice what is in My Arban, Clarke, and Gordon books. If the lesson calls for it I do it. If the music calls for it I do it. When I find a part of a piece that challenges me I find lessons that look like they will help make that part easier and do those. I am hoping that if I do the work everything will fall into place. \

You keep putting in the time. I am looking forward to hearing you nail it! :play:

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Arturo had it going straight until he walked it up an octave plus to a finale. Personally, I liked it. Far better than many others that try to be ostentacious.

Yes, the crowd had a big accolade ... as they would have had he played it exactly as the law presents and the USMC "President's Own", the Army's "Pershing's Own" and the Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard play it.

My point, I served under the Star Spangeled Banner, and I don't mess with such heritage.

The hard facts are that fewer than 10% of Americans can recite entirely the lyrics to the first stanza.

Considering President OBama, President Clinton, and President Bush, It is my opinion that only one of these would possibly know who composed the music ... and I'd like to pull this as a snap question to Arturo and YOU ... no researching allowed. It WAS NOT FRANCIS SCOTT KEY!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I don't know. But I will find out.

9. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Ok. Now I know.

10. Ed Lee