National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Outkastah

Outkastah Pianissimo User

Aug 29, 2009
    Boston
    Yah sound good mate

xjb0906 likes this.
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    XJB,
    thanks for quoting me - I'm working on everything, and not just high register. low F# to DHC+, and Pedal tones, triple tonguing all scales, fast chromatics, tone, endurance, consistency (my 45 yr old body - is not always happy with my trumpet playing) - musicality, and such.
    My hardest thing to do is actually remember songs -- I can play them 1000's of times, and still forget some note.

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    quote from Ed Lee ""Arturo had it going straight until he walked it up an octave plus to a finale. Personally, I liked it. Far better than many others that try to be ostentacious.......
    .......My point, I served under the Star Spangeled Banner, and I don't mess with such heritage.""

Ed Lee, thank you for serving our most Blessed country - I appreciate that and have a great respect for the National Anthem. I am glad you liked the Arturo version, I meant no ill will by saying to "ignore those people" ---people are often critical of musical interpretation --- That said --- I try to play the National Anthem respectfully (no matter what octave) -- and my worst fear is forgetting a note (as so many have done) --- That to me is more embarrassing/ disrespectful than to take it up, or down, an octave. Octaves to me are a personal choice --- some songs I go up, some down -- and something like "somewhere over the rainbow" -- I like to do all 3 if I can.
    so --Ed Lee -- please take no offense to my comments -- I am always FREE in America to stick my foot in my mouth -- and sometimes I often do.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    King Trumpet and all:

Just to say again ... due to major dental and health issues I have NOT played any of my horns since mid July 2008. Still, I maintain my horns in perfect readiness to resume the moment my Docs say I can although I fully realize this may be as long as 2 years from now (I Pray it is not more) and that thereafter at least a year to put back in place the sounds as were near my former capability.

The answer as to who composed the music is John Stafford Smith. Francis Scott Key, a Georgetown (Washington DC) lawyer wrote the lyrics as a poem as he watched the bombardment of Fort McHenry. My question is who is first to put the music and lyrics as we know them together.

YES, I'd rave if Arturo played "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" with his own take on improvization.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    My next solo performance is for the Charlotte Checkers hockey team next Wednesday.. 3 free tickets and free parking. I guess that qualifies as a paying gig.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Wow! That was gutsy going for the double C, but you know, he wouldn't have done it if he didn't know he had it.

Back to yours, I thought you sounded really nice. There are maybe (and I mean maybe) some personal opinion things I'd change ever so slightly with it if was me, (to clarify - these are things that are more of a personal style thing and not slighting yours in the least) but the important thing was that it was SOLID, it was musical, it was cleanly performed....all around a rendition to be pround of. Nice job!

Someone mentioned something with the mic. I have a theory on that. You were standing quite a ways from the mic and it could be they had to really turn up the gain to the the level of sound they were looking for. It also sounded like maybe they had it set up with a noise gate and possibly a compressor - you could hear it kick in as soon as it started to feed back, or at least that's the way it seemed to me.

xjb0906 likes this.
  7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My rendition of SSB is a take as written and scored for DOD and international protocol performance such as Olympic Games. For such following my comeback in 2006, I play mulltiple parts on trumpet, mellophone, and euphonium. Almost totally lacking on improv, but I've no intent otherwise. It appears on my complimentary CDs given to some veterans I'm acquainted with, that also includes my rendition of the National March, "Stars and Stripes, Forever!" and "TAPS."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Let us know how you get on with this part. A lot of us have the same concern.:play:

10. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YGSWjPG7Uc

My latest upload to youtube. The sound quality isn't as good on this recording. You can hear the crowd singing along though. Unfortunately you can hear one individual sticking out in the crowd. Not sure if he was trying to be cute or singing along.

My latest National Anthem performance was last Thursday. I have been having trouble getting it to upload but it sounds better than this one. Next week one of my bandmates and myself will do a duet at a Hickory Crawdads game.

I got a very nice letter of recommendation from my contact at the Knights. Hoping it along with the recording will open some doors with other organizations.
    As said before I am on the list for the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Waiting for my first call.

Still playing in The Stardusters Big Band and the Community Band. The Stardusters have a gig next Saturday that I am looking forward to. I hope to get some video of the Stardusters up soon. I learn more with those guys than playing the National Anthem. The Anthem solos are great workouts for the nerves. Hoping to have nerves of steel as I increase my knowledge musically. I never want to be a practice room only kind of player.

One thing I have noticed is that when the butterflies kick in it makes phrasing much more difficult. I am thinking of working some type of cardio in to my practice just to get my body/mind used to phrasing and controlling breath even though the heart rate is up. Might not work but it is worth a try.

Thanks to all.