National Anthem

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Sep 5, 2010.

1. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Although the sound quality isn't as good you sound more confident and relaxed in your playing. Good Job! :thumbsup:
    The voice that stands out sounds like maybe they don't speak English well. Maybe they don't know the song either.
    Good Luck,
    Bobby

2. mtbevins

mtbevins Pianissimo User

Jan 18, 2011
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Good Job! Nice tone. Thanks for posting the video.

Todd

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nice job! Great core to the sound, solid articulation, breathing in all the right places!

I too will join the traditionalists. There are certain tunes on the planet that have such deep meaning in word and melody that any messing around really only serves to highlight the individual playing rather than the thousands honored.

There are plenty of tunes for showing off. Why draw attention to OURSELVES on an occasion like this? I mean, are we playing for those that gave their lives, or for the trumpeting community?

What was that with the "twilights last reaming" of recent history??????

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  4. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks! Last year I got a little too relaxed at a hockey game. With that and the cold I wan't prepared for I split a middle line g!:thumbdown: It was at Time Warner arena where the sound system and big screen rocks. It was the best audio/video I have had. My sound was awesome and you could see the tiny details of the engraving on my Bach. Then the cat got his tail stuck under the rocking chair.:-( What would have been a great video to use as a promotional video will forever be hidden now.:-( The Hockey team hasn't called back. They may change their minds as I continue to improve and play larger venues. Other than this bomb I have been very consistent with my National Anthem performances.:D

You could be right about the vocal soloist.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks guys. I almost forgot to mention that the popping sound in the first video was due to the mic being turned up too high for a trumpet. At first they had it turned to the same level as for a vocalist. The sound guy has been adjusting the mic every time I have played. This last time there wasn't even any squeal in the speakers. I think they have it right now. Luckily they have been making these adjustments without my knowledge as I may have tried to adjust as well. Still working on getting the last video to post.

I have no problem with slightly altered versions of the Anthem. Here is one of my favorites. Dr. Mcguire is a monster player and a genuinely nice person too. His version is altered but is not disrespectful in my opinion. He plays different versions for different occasions/venues. Some more traditional arenas require him to play it straight and he honors their wishes.
    ‪Jesse McGuire plays the National Anthem - Game 2 at BOB, 2001 NLCS‬‏ - YouTube

I want to be like Jesse, Arturo, Maynard, Doc etc... I don't want to play like them. I want to play like me. These guys are like King Kong with a trumpet. They just stomp around and tear things up at will. Very powerful. I want that power.

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    King Kong was not American. Maynard either. Arturo became a naturalized citizen in 1999.

I know that it is hopeless. Big names are hired to make the intro more spectacular. The expectations of the marketeers have so little to do with the Anthem. To be frank, your solid rendition means much more to me than all of the double C versions together. The audience singing along is what it is about in my opinion.

The cool thing is that we, the listener have the POWER to turn the TV on afterwards. Choice can be a WONDERFUL thing.

7. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks for the kind words, but I hope to do a double c version myself someday. I can't help it. I have been listening to Maynard and Doc since I was 7 years old. I used to stay up late to watch The Tonight Show just to hear Doc play when I could get away with it.
    Arturo has more in common with the forefathers of this country than most of us. He came here for a lot of the same reasons.

8. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Check out my friend Larry Wiseman's version and let me know what you think. It may be a little too much for the purists but I like it. larrywiseman.com

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I have the words in my head when I hear this played. When the embellishments don't support the verse, then I have an issue for public hearings. I do not consider this piece an etude. Articulation should optimally match the words. Ties where two words are sung makes the performance ANALphabetic.

O! say can you see by the dawn’s early light,
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight’s last gleaming,
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
    O’er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rockets’ red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
    O! say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
    O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

HOWEVER, the tune was actually a drinking song before the words were written. If we are playing the Anacreontic Song, then we are free to do whatever we like.

I found this over at Wikipedia:

The song is notoriously difficult for nonprofessionals to sing, because of its wide range – an octave and a half. Humorist Richard Armour referred to the song's difficulty in his book It All Started With Columbus.
    In an attempt to take Baltimore, the British attacked Fort McHenry, which protected the harbor. Bombs were soon bursting in air, rockets were glaring, and all in all it was a moment of great historical interest. During the bombardment, a young lawyer named Francis Off Key [sic] wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner", and when, by the dawn's early light, the British heard it sung, they fled in terror
    —Richard Armour

United States Code, 36 U.S.C. § 301, states that during a rendition of the national anthem, when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart; Members of the Armed Forces and veterans who are present and not in uniform may render the military salute; men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and maintain that position until the last note; and when the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed. Military law requires all vehicles on the installation to stop when the song is played and all individuals outside to stand at attention and face the direction of the music and either salute, in uniform, or place the right hand over the heart, if out of uniform. Recently enacted law in 2008 allows military veterans to salute out of uniform, as well.[16][17]
    However, this statutory suggestion does not have any penalty associated with violations. 36 U.S.C. § 301 This behavioral requirement for the national anthem is subject to the same First Amendment controversies that surround the Pledge.[18] For example, Jehovah’s Witnesses are not required to stand for or sing the national anthem.

10. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Amen. I was conducting a band in a stadium once and this local "star" was going to sing it from the press box. I told him we should rehearse it but he insisted that he had "done it a million times" and there was nothing to quality control. Fine, have it your way.

When the time came, there was a big delay between the band and the vocal and people in the stands started chuckling. Some of the band members had tears in their eyes trying to play and listening to this fiasco at the same time. Of course, "might makes right", so it sounded like the band was right and the singer was off the entire time. His bad. Brought it on himself.

Look out for them delays. :roll: