National Trumpet Competition concerto choices

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by dqope21, Jul 27, 2009.

1. dqope21

dqope21 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
    I am doing the National Trumpet Competition next year. Can you guys help me compile a list of possible trumpet concertoes to play for this?

2. jcstites

jcstites Mezzo Forte User

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    What division will you be in?

In the college and grad divisions I would say there are about 5-6 pieces that are in finals consistently. Tomasi, Jolivet (concertino and concerto #2), Chaynes Concerto, Davies Sonata, and Desenclos.

Do you have to do one of these to win? No, and they don't always win, but they do seem to be in finals more than the rest. Good Luck.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Jonathan should know. He placed third in the Graduate division - Congratulations!

I would imagine that the Bozza could be added to that list - Ed Carroll would probably have some "fresh" ideas for things very seldom played

4. dqope21

dqope21 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
    Sorry, I forgot to specify my division. I'm going to be a junior in high school.

5. jcstites

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    The Tomasi won the HS division last year. Ewazen Sonata, Kennan Sonata, Arutunian Concerto, Stevens Sonata, Enesco Legend would all be good choices for the HS division.

I did the 1st mvt. of the Kennan sonata in HS and placed 2nd, but it seems like the level has gone up since then. Whatever you choose just play this crap out of it and it wont matter what piece you picked.

Thanks rowuk!

6. dqope21

dqope21 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
  7. jcstites

Jun 1, 2005
    Tallahassee, FL
    Tamberg Concerto 3rd Movement

8. dqope21

dqope21 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
    Anymore suggestions?

9. dqope21

dqope21 New Friend

Jul 1, 2009
    Are there any lyrical-based concerto/sonatas out there that would be suitable for this competition? I'm not saying that I don't like playing technically-oriented pieces, I'm just more lyrically oriented on the trumpet.

10. Phil Kersh

Phil Kersh Pianissimo User

Feb 28, 2008
    Provo, Utah
    I'm with Jonathan with this. If you're not already familiar with the Kennan Sonata, it might be what you're looking for.