Natural horn tuning

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by coolerdave, May 26, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I was driving and thinking about the thread concerning the first valve tuning slide ... the need for or the none use ... and it made me think about natural horns.. I am guessing all the tuning is done with air support and the embrouchure ,,, it would seem to me the same could be done with a "regular" trumpet... yes ? no?

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Yes - up to a point.

Remember that the natural trumpet is only sounding the "open" notes so does not have the intonation issues of valve combinations (requiring proportions of length, rather than fixed length). It does not have the shortage of tubing given by valves 1 and 3 for D and 1, 2, and 3 for C#.

Yes, it is an octave lower, but still has to address the fact that western music wants, for instance, the 5th harmonic E to be at a higher pitch than the laws of nature intend it to be. These harmonics can be pushed around to comply with the requirements of an ensemble performance.

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    A natural trumpet is not necessarily "natural".

There are 3 basic types of "natural" trumpets, the original, tubing and bell, a three hole "invention" and a 4 hole long "invention". The first has actual historic roots to the rennaissance, the latter 2 to the early 1960s.

The original models have a hand made bell and tubing, has a fair amount of "bore" inconsistencies that make lipping up and down no major chore.

The "invention" trumpets that are vented, have holes at critical positions to detune the standing wave. This allows for tuning to many different types of ensembles. The goal is to increase the security for players that need to switch between modern and historic on a regular basis. Many are built with standard drawn tubing, but a handmade bell.

Another major difference is the mouthpiece. Modern rims, cups, throats and backbores are really designed for the efficiency of modern instruments. The "historic" models are often considerably longer than standard mouthpieces, can have a very sharp rim and a much different cup geometry than the modern instruments.

As far as intonation goes, this is a completely different animal as the bell flare in relation to the length of the instrument is much different. The effects of the bell are considerably different. It takes some time to get good enough for ensemble playing where the natural "slot" becomes less significant.

4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thanks again

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown