NATURAL TRUMPET PLAYING

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Jul 11, 2005.

1. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    TM'ers,

Have any of you experience a change in your MODERN trumpet playing after playing a NATURAL TRUMPET for an extensive period of time??

My thinking is that it might help ... but I'm unexperienced in that area.

Thanks,

Rogerio

Kang-Ling likes this.
  2. sinfoniantrumpeter

sinfoniantrumpeter Pianissimo User

Apr 10, 2005
    I think it helps your ear a lot. You can't really rely on slotting with a natrual horn.

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    All the great nat players I have heard have also been amazing on modern instruments.

Certainly will help your lip trills!

4. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    I think it's good for your ear and your endurance. Also, you play the baroque literature differently when you understand better how it was played originally. The nats don't play as loud, and if you overblow them, they punish you - you miss a lot of notes and have little endurance. You have to play in a more vocal style, and not try to make it as loud as a modern instrument. Once you accept that, you have a much easier time. It's like Dizzy Gillespie said, if you fight the horn, it wins every time. I know Dizzy didn't play nats, but that statement is even more true concerning them.

Kang-Ling likes this.
  5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Okay, reviving old topic.

I need more info regarding playing these things. Every little bit of info will help. I have a natural with no holes and one with them.

Van

6. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    http://www.baroquetrumpet.com/intro.htm

Here's a shop that sells them . I have a Tomes trumpet and I think it's very good. Other good instruments are made by Egger, Naumann, and Barclay.
    They play much differently than the modern instrument. They punish overblowing, and are not as loud or bright as a modern horn.

http://www.earlybrass.com/nattrump.htm

Here is a good website with lots of info. What do you want to do with the baroque trumpet?

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Short horns with valves make life a lot easier.

One change I noticed was that I didn't like listening to modern renditions of The Messiah after I played it several times with an "original instrument" orchestra. Not because of the trumpets but mainly I preferred the sound the baroque strings were getting; senza all that modern ,free lance hacker, vibrato .

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I am primarily interested in learning a little Baroque piece on the authentic instrument for a Music History class (You really only have to bring recordings, but dangit, this was an opportunity to learn this).

I am finding the "vent holes" really dont work well in the lower register. Actually, I know I should probably use the "authentic" horn (the unvented one) to figure it out.

I am under the impression I am going to have to a:) be in the upper overtones to find more notes to lock, and b:) will have to get really good at manipulating notes with the lips and air. :D

BUT, with the four vent holes, I am right now just trying to figure out how to raise notes a half with which hole combination...

This is the most interesting thing I've ever done, lol.

Van

9. Rgale

Rgale Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2005
    Two great instruction books. The Brass Work Book for Natural Trumpet, by Michael Laird.
    The Art of Baroque Trumpet Playing, by Edward Tarr. Volume 1, Basic Exercises, is the essential one. It's like Arban for nats. Get that one first. Vol. 2 and 3 are Method of Ensemble Playing , and a Beautiful Bouquet of the Finest Fanfares.
    The Laird book has a fingering chart for 3 and 4 hole systems. Basically the written f ,top of the staff , is the worst note. The thumb hole corrects that one.

10. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Van and all,

Good stuff posted in response to your reviving this topic. Thanks everyone.

The Baroque Trumpet Shop has the fingerings for 3 & 4 holes posted in their site. Barry has been great to work with. Very helpful.

It has been several weeks since I've had my horn... and if I may answer my own question... it seems to be helping my modern instrument playing quite a bit. I just keep thinking, "man... every trumpet player should go through this process to really appreciate the talents of those folks back when there was not need for valve oil!" :lol:

It would be great to have a Steel-Perkins or Eklund moderate a Baroque Trumpet forum.

Anyone with connections to influence these folks to come check us out???? ;-)