NATURAL TRUMPET PLAYING

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Jul 11, 2005.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

It is listed on the Hal Leonard website the same way. When Volume I is sold separately it is listed as 9 1/2" X 12". this is listed as 9" by 12".There are different stock #'s for this set and the other separate volumes.

Here is some of their answer to my questions about this set. I had mentioned the other volumes but they didn't address them.

"This is three separate books sold together as a set. Hal Leonard hadn't entered it into the data base they give us until a couple of days ago. They are busy adding descriptions and pictures of items that are missing information in their database. We update ours every week for our suppliers, so the changes should go in there soon. In the meantime, the information you need about this 3-book set is as follows:

THE ART OF BAROQUE TRUMPET PLAYING
    Complete Set of 3 Volumes
    Series: Schott
    Publisher: Schott
    Trumpet
    Composer: Edward H. Tarr.......

This is in English and German. The size is 9 x 12 inches and the total number of pages for all three books is 336.
    I

They claim that I am getting 336 pages. Seems like a free lunch but I have seen it listed at least 3 other sites the same way. Drawbridge was the cheapest.

2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Is it a complete "no, no" to ever consider putting a amado water valve on these things? I'd hate to do it... but water seems to be a big issue for me... now I know how french horn players feel... my goodness... it's no wonder I'm thirsty all the time. ;-)

For those of you that ordered the Tarr collection... I'd like to hear what you think and how you are approaching the books.

3. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I've got one on .................. thanks for reminding me, I just oiled it. It was only a little bit stuck. I have one with and one that I never bothered to get one on.

I played in an "authentic instrument" orchestra with it years ago and no one was the wiser.

4. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    My situation is similar to Brian's. I have had an Amado water key on my Egger trumpet for many years, and aside from a little friendly kidding from other trumpeters, no one else has cared. I'm not sure anyone else in an orchestra has ever noticed, maybe because I had it placed near the point where the bell is wired to the bow. I know a couple of other players who have added water keys to their Egger and Naumann trumpets.

As far as being a no-no, for me that would only apply to a authentically produced no-holes instrument. Vent holes are a modern adaptation, so why not a water key? ;-)

5. Barry

Barry New Friend

Nov 11, 2005
    North Carolina
    Water key

Rogerio,

DON'T DO IT!!!!! It's like riding Le Tour with hairy legs. In all my playing, I've never had a problem dumping water. Either take the crook out and blow or hold the trumpet bell up with the mouthpiece out and and the water will just run out the leadpipe.

On historically made tubes like yours, it may compromise the integrity of the seam.

6. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    I agree with Barry about the historically made tubes part. I wouldn't add the water key if my instrument was made that way. My Egger was made with modern drawn tubing, so adding the water key wasn't an issue.

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I started a new thread about the books.

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=58780#58780

8. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I own Meinl and Lauber, Tarr Model. No problem with the amado and mine .

9. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Re: Water key

Thanks Barry... but did you have to mention the "hairy legs"?... now all these trumpet geeks are gonna think we shave our legs!!! :lol: ... cause we ride road bikes.

Water is really not a big issue... I better make sure I can make a pretty sound first... ;-)

Thanks to Matt and Brian too.

10. Barry

Barry New Friend

Nov 11, 2005
    North Carolina
    Tarr books

Hi all,

I ordered the Tarr books from SheetMusicPlus.com for the #34.95 plus shipping and they arrived yesterday. So it is true. What a deal. I'm having all my students order them.

Barry