NATURAL TRUMPET PLAYING

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Jul 11, 2005.

1. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  2. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    Dave,

Congrats for making the move...

My experience has been limited but here it goes...

I first purchased a Naumann 4 hole but found the reach to be awkward for someone with short arms. I could reach the vents but my wrist was killing me.

I was able to return the Naumann in exchange ( + $ ) for a Egger short 3 hole model. I am much, much happier with this instrument. Although the Naumann was a very nice horn, the Egger played quite better :-) .

Once you get the horn you want... then the real circus begins... the hunt for a mouthpiece :bash: .

Keep us posted on your NAT adventures.

Have fun and as someone wished for me a while back, "may all your in staff D's be in tune" :lol: .

Rogerio

3. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Dave,
    I have both a 3-hole Egger and 4-hole Tomes trumpet. There are pros and cons to each venting system.

To Rogerio's point...when other players have tried both of my instruments to see which system they prefer, the top reason people have preferred the 3-hole system is "ergonomics."

The other main factors favoring the the 3-hole system are that it's easier to ensure the holes are all sealed, and that it can fit into a standard modern trumpet case.

4-hole trumpets have more effective pitch alteration on F# and A. My experience is that their longer form generally yields more stable Ds (9th partial), and sometimes a more open low register. These latter two vary with the instrument maker though.

Egger makes trumpets of either system, arguably the best in the world today. I'm envious that you are going to see him and get to try all of those instruments!

If you get along with both systems ergonomically, I'd say pick the one that plays best for you at the time, learn that system, and don't worry about the difference. Oh, and make sure to get either a no-hole yard (4-hole system) or extra plugs (3-hole system) so you can practice without holes too.

Hope this helps.

4. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

5. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

6. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    Some years back Egger developed a crooking system that allowed you to buy fewer crooks. Instead of a traditional crook dedicated to a particular pitch level (e.g. D at A=440, D at A=430, and D at A=415), the crook itself had an adjustable part that could be swapped out for different pitch levels. So instead of buying three D crooks, you could buy only one D crook and two less expensive parts to cover all three pitch levels.

Most players have reported better results with traditional crooks, and I've heard that Egger makes mostly traditional crooks these days.

7. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

8. AKart

AKart Pianissimo User

Jun 24, 2005
    Russia, Moscow
    Thank you for your replies!

I've found the maker in Europe (R. Vanryne) whom advised me one Holland musician keen on baroque trumpet playing. He's going to bring the 4-hole trumpet to Russia himself, so, I've solved this problem.

9. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

10. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I am glad to hear that you are well and safe. It sounds like you had a delightful trip to Basel.
    i am curious why you did not opt for one of the British makers of Natural Trumpets.