NATURAL TRUMPET PLAYING

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ROGERIO, Jul 11, 2005.

1. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    In concept yes.

Read this, particularly the bit at the bottom:

Natural trumpet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's wikipedia and all that implies but it's a start. A very nice example at the top of the page by Francisco (BrassonLine) from TM.

Regards,

Trevor

2. sdfbailey

sdfbailey New Friend

Jul 26, 2007
    Tipton, nr Birmingham, UK
    I play quite a lot of nat and am thinking of getting a new one. My old Keavy VanRyne is ok, but can be quite hard work, especially on clarino stuff.

I'm thinking about getting a Tomes, has anyone compared one with the Naumann models?

3. krossum

krossum Piano User

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY, USA
    I cannot offer a recent comparison to other horns, but I currently own two Naumann instruments and they are excellent.

Onward.
    -Kelly

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I played the Naumann 3 hole model Thursday last week and the Tomes 4 hole model about a year ago. I think that they are 2 completely different concepts.
    Your VanRyne is considerably different than either one. The VR seems to be made of standard trumpet parts but offers a lot of flexibility in intonation. The Naumann plays like the standard 3 hole (Egger, etc...) but has a much nicer, round tone. The current Niklas Eklund recordings and performances are with the Naumann and really do show what the horn sounds like.
    The Tomes is suitable if you are playing with ensembles using 4 hole models. Getting groups in tune with mixed types is always an intonation challenge. It really makes sense to get horns of the same type here.
    Another option that you could consider would be the nats by Michael Münkwitz. Call him, you won't be sorry!
    www.trumpetmaker.com * Historical brass instruments * Michael Münkwitz
    I have his 3 hole Riedel model and recently played the prototype 3 hole Birckholz. I think this is my next purchase! Awesome intonation and upper octave!
    www.birckholtz.de

5. TheRiddler

TheRiddler Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2006
    USA
    I play the Naumann 3-hole and I love it. I've had great sucess with it thus far, too. Rowuk, how would you compare the Münkwitz to the Naumann soundwise?

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Naumann has a sound very suitable for the "modern" ear. Smooth, even through all of the registers. Sometimes you can even forget that it is a nat (especially when Niklas Eklund plays it!)!

The Münkwitz has a wider range of possibilities, from really nasty to brilliant-heroic. It has distinct sounds in the various registers. This is probably historically more accurate, but not always what non-period ears expect. I use it very often even for things like Mozarts Requiem. It is easier to imitate heaven AND hell with this horn.

7. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    It will help you to have a large warm sound, projection, flexibility, lip thrill...
    What else?
    Best wishes

8. antonio di stasi

antonio di stasi New Friend

May 17, 2011
    Hi, I am waiting for a Nauman baroque trumpet with 3 holes to be shipped.
    I hope with the fingering chart to be able to start playing it, and then maybe take some lessons.

I understood that the series you can play do not include all the notes, though you may lip bend some partials.

I am curious about the music to play, so for example I suppose all the notes in the Brandendburg concerto as written are...playable on it.

My question is about extension, in this fingering chart here the last note is a Dconcert, on the one I have for 3 hole trumpet is a F concert.

Could it be possible to get both of them completed up to G concert with the holes indication? then book, books and teacher will still be needed.
    thanks.

Antonio.

9. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Antonio,
    you can without much experience, play a reasonably in tune scale except for the F (too sharp) and A (too flat). The thumb hole alone will help you get those notes in tune. The other holes are to sharpen the E, make the high B natural and C lock in better as well as help adjust the horn on other notes depending on the key signature.

If I remember right, there is one Naumann model for Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb and a second model for E and high F. You always have to put the right slides in for the basic key.

Above high C, each horn is a bit different so you need to experiment.

10. antonio di stasi

antonio di stasi New Friend

May 17, 2011
    thanks.
    I am looking forward to play it and experience the tone production, I guess that relies more on our ear and buzzing.
    Also to see how the lip trills will be.

FINGERING, or...HOLING::::

Actually I found this fingering....chart online up to F3.
    It is on a famous baroquetrumpet website, if you google baroque trumpet fingering chart will appear as pdf link...

I deleted the post, because it is not clear to me if it is legal to post it on a forum.

Is this the highest extension?

In the Brandenburg there is a G3, is it possible to play it on the baroque trumpet and how would that be on the hole chart?

thanks

Last edited: May 19, 2011